swiftkid

Urgently need help VR6

Well this has been the ultimate in bad luck for me, been having so many problems with this car trying to convert it to obd2, finally got it done tonight took it out for a spin and wow, amazing, well chuffed with all the work I had put into it. Done about 35 miles in it, then went to pub for 30 mins, pulled out the pub and a couple of minutes down the road I hear a strange sort of tappy bang noise as if something had fallen off, not loud just noticeable. Was taking it nice and easy, only cruising so no heavy footing.

Next thing it drops onto 4/5 and is sounding like the usual subaru noise, except without the performance. Now i always fear the worst and my initial thought is to fear the worst and think i've bent a valve but it sounds exactly the same as when i forgot to plumb the vacuum pipe to the brake cylinder. I've had a look around the engine and nothing seems to be out of the normal, no excess oil or missing pipes. Its a bit late to problem solve tonight but wondering if anyone has any ideas for me to check?

Its misfiring on idle and while accelerating, just found a thread saying it could be coilpack so will check that tomorrow

Going to do a compression test when I get in from work tomorrow night, fingers crossed.

In true corrado fashion it does this the week im going to santa pod for a mates stag do and 2 weeks before I finish college which I have a tonne of assignments to do!

edit: don't have vagcom but have put it through vcds lite (freeware) and it only came up with lambda sensor which putting cards on the table still has obd1 lambda sensor in but will be getting changed. Engine had a rebuild nearly 25k ago so i should hope its not down to chains etc. Also just before doing the obd2 i put a 6 branch on which is blowing slightly at the joint between the cat.

Edited by swiftkid

Yep i'd check the coil pack for cracks, best to remove it completely to do this too, only takes 20 mins or so and if you could get a donor one to swap that'd be a bonus.

One year when i went to Stanford hall i parked up after a perfect drive to get there then spent all day sat there without being started then when i came to leave it was missfiring badly, it had a dirty big crack underneath it and it seemingly went while stationary :( Lol!

Check coilpack and leads for arcing then plug condition. It shouldnt just suddenly go if its an internal thing.