jakegti

coolant tank overflowing

My car overheated today(vr6)(well got to 110 on the temp gauge) and after discovering i forgot to plug in the fan motor! i refilled with water and was on my way. when i got home i was bleeding the system through and noticed the tank kept overflowing as the engine was getting hotter, then dropping right down to near empty when the fans kicked in. Ive been flushing the coolant alot recently after doing the waterpump and rad etc, and this has never happened before. The fan kicks in at the right time aswell

can anyone shed any light on this as I have my car up for sale and want to get it sorted out!

cheers

Edited by jakegti

What engine????

Best method for most is to start the engine from stone cold with the cap off topping it up as you need to, but dont let the level get so low that it sucks air in. wait until the fan kick's in and whack the cap back on.

Messed around for hours not long ago and this method seemed to do the trick. also before this it may help to remove the standing water in the pipes by blowing all the water out, disconect from the main block and blow like billyO' :)

its a vr6 mate. ive been told it might be a mega airlock so what im going to do is drop the water and start from scratch with fresh coolant

I had a load of air lock issues when i rebuilt mine... never had that problem on my golf VR6 before and i had drained the system a few times on that.... after a few times of topping it up after it bubbled over everything shifted and its been fine ever since :)

Pete