Marshall936

Help! Alloy stuck!

Well i think its safe to say i've been a right plonker! I went and got a low profile tyre fitted to one of my new alloys, which now clear the suspension which is good...Although I tried to remove it again it won't budge!!!

Think its stuck on the 'ring' which protrudes from the brake/hub and slots into the centre of the alloy.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help at all as i'm mythed on how i'm going to get it off :(

Just make sure it's not on the "widowmaker" standard toolkit jack before you start doing any of this!!

...then use some harsh language. Should do the trick.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

:lol: @ widowmaker! Good point Jim- good trolley jack and stands is a must!

......... give it a good old whacking. Work your way around the rim.

The old me would have made a joke about that.

The old me would have made a joke about that.

Was thinking the same thing but too tiered for it at the mo :D

Haha love the suggestions of drop kicking!! but i've tried with a mallet and a decent jack of the trolley variety, no luck as i can't get a good enough swing so think i need to get it to a garage on a ramp :(

Heres the offending wheel centre:

IMAG0281.jpg

you could try heating the rim up with a hot air gun? alloy expands at a different rate to steel so should just fall off if you get it hot enough.

Good idea, although problem solved now!!!! Found my mini sledge hammer so only took 20 mins and she was free!! Off to get some Lube now ;)

have your wheels had fresh paint?? the extra thickness of new paint may have done it

I'll second that, take a wire brush to the hub before you re-attach the wheel, get off all the surface rust/imperfections then grease it up with copper grease or something.

i have found a way of levering them off from the rear with a long bar and positioned correctly on the wishbones/subframe, didn't like hitting my new wheels with a mallet :lol:

Yeah they're freshly painted but i think its because they came from an MG? Think a bit of grinding and copper grease will be hopefully be enough!