bristolbaron

slimline fan not working - alternator fault or something else?

I've had a battery drain for ages which I believe I'd narrowed down to a dodgy alternator.

I also had an issue with my cooling fan not coming on at 90 like it should.

I've just changed the alternator and taken the car out for a 20 minute run to put some charge in the battery however when I came home the battery light was still on and the cooling fan wasn't kicking in.

Do you think there's not enough power back in the battery to start the fan? Or maybe I need to replace the radiator thermo-switch?

If the battery light is staying on then the alternator is not charging the battery. Check the alternator is putting out enough volts using a voltmeter, should be about 14 volts. Check the connections on the alternator. There's a blue wire (I think) that must be connected securely. The battery could be goosed. Easiest way to check is by sticking in a known good one. Pinch your Mums, dads, wifes, girlfriend, boyfriends, neighbours, mates battery and see if that makes a differnce.