VW_OwneR_85

vr6 temp issue.

hi, recently replaced the temp senders, blue and yellow as i was sure i wasnt getting the correct reading, temp gauge allways stayed around 75-80 and the bay just seems alot hotter,the fans will turn on when the gauge goes up past 90 or 100? but it would only get there if the car is stood still running, my m8 hooked it up to vag com and the ecu temp is 10 degres hotter then the gauge temp even with new senders, is there anything else that im missing? dodgey connection on the plug to the sender maybe?, or am i just beeing parnoid thinking my engines going to burst into flames? cheers...

Vag com sounds like its reading correctly to be honest. The gauge is only so accurate.

I had a similar issue. The gauge wouldnt go higher then 70. It wasnt the thermostat, i replaced the sensor and still no joy. I checked with vagcom and it seemed ok - like i you say it was 10 degrees lower on the dash to vagcom. I ended up having to replace the actual gauge in the dash. All is well now :D

I forgot to add that i also had a new chip on the circuit board soldered in, this didnt work either. No found one from here fairly easily, put a wanted ad up :D Its easy to replace the gauge, once you've got the instrument cluster out and taken all the necessary screws out to get behind the clear window you can just pull the gauge off. No need to seperate the circuit board from the plastic shell its attached to.

You can also tweak the Gauge to read the same as the ECU (Blue) when up to temp. Bit of a fiddle but at least they read the same when at normal temp. Small adjuster in back of unit