akacheesy

Will not start once hot

So my problem is, when I have driven her for a decent length of time and stop, she just won't start. All I hear is a click from the starter. I've had a new starter motor fitted but something is telling me it's a solenoid or maybe a coil or some other electrical component that is failing once hot.

Anyone else had this issue?

Any advice gratefully received.

May a nudge in the Search direction be prompted!! There is quite a bit on this issue. If it does it with a brand new starter, not recon then it would point to the wireing in the car. It is usually a combination of just old age. I had it and putting a relay in the starter circuit has cured it totally as there is full battery whack to the solenoid. When was the ignition switch last changed as the switch carries the energiser load to the solenoid (not cranking load!!) There is a diagram of the relay mod on here somewhere. Never had to worry about being stuck again since. Neil

ta for the reply. I have no idea what to search for though. You mean the ignition switch as in, where I put my key? As far as I know, it's never been changed.

I thought I had the same problem a while back but it turned out to be a doggy switch, the little White one at the bottom of the ignition barrel! Give the key a wiggle up and down when turning over!

'For those with hot start problems - lil update' Relay Mod if new ignition switch fails to cure it. If you are getting a click at the starter motor then the ignition switch is doing something. And the fact that it's Ok when cold points to the Starter motor as well.

Edited by buttles

It's a new starter motor, I had it "fixed" a couple of years ago but it didn't solve the issue. The garage that did it had it for days, I think he replaced some relays which cured it for a while but now it's back. What do you mean "Relay Mod"?

I really am trying to help, honest. Type 'For those with hot start problems - lil update' into the search box at the top of the page and see what you get. The input into the Solenoid on the starter motor comes through the Ignition switch. If there is any dodgy/old/ knackered wireing then there is sometimes not enough juice to fully throw the solenoid (especially when hot) and get a start. The Relay mod puts new wireing in to get full 12v to the Solenoid. Print off the picture and show it to your Mechanic.

Just a quick update. I took the wiring diagram to a local auto electrician, he fitted it and charged me £45. problem solved. Wish I had done it years ago, I'd prolly have around 24hrs of my life back