stu37

Car running till battery dies (Gearbox just changed.....) :o(

Hi guys just a quick one.

I Have just changed and my gearbox in my VR and noticed that on start up the wipers increasingly became slower and slower. I knew straight away that the Alternator cant have been

having an effect and it must have been running of the battery. A short time later it bogged the functions dies and it cut out.

Its the earthing wires I firstly assumed that may have been causing some trouble....?

To Recap.

Positive battery to starter terminal.

Negative battery to (to small earth point by washer bottle and large seperate earth on long starter motor bolt.

I have noticed a black lead from the alternator with whats looks like an earth tag, (would this have an adverse effect if this had been put to the same earth point as the negative battery lead?

Im really at a loss guy, I simply undid a few connectors and replaced them. I have checked the connectors for grim and the old girl isnt giving up any clues.

This is so typical of my car to solve one problem and ten more are lurking around the corner.

Please guys and help would be most appreciatted!

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Hey guys had a scout through the posts and see the blue exciter cable mentioned... I had this apart but looked aok when putting it back together :o(, this is more mad as the car was aok before it was taken apart for the gearbox change.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Hey guys had a scout through the posts and see the blue exciter cable mentioned... I had this apart but looked aok when putting it back together :o(, this is more mad as the car was aok before it was taken apart for the gearbox change.

The black lead from the alternator with the tag is the live feed back to the battery (This charges the system) reattach that wire to the same terminal on the starter motor as the positive battery cable.

And hope that this hasnt done any more damage...

Hope that helps

HOLY ****!!!

I knew I would **** something up!! After changing the gearbox and clutch etc on own I knew I would bugger something up!

Thankyou so much for your post mate, I will check the big bolt down fuses and hope no serious damadge has been done tho I can see a cooked battery being likely here :oS.