Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

16v airbox DIY mod + K&N code

I'm going to get myself a replacement panel filter, but i've read loads of post where people have been sent the wrong ones, so does anyone have the right part number for a 1990 1.8 16v?

also, i know i've seen this on another post, does anyone have any more info on how to correctly drill the airbox? pictures would be good :D

dont drill the air box get a proper induction kit for it they are bout £75 and made by piperX best move i made and works better than the drilled air box!!

dont drill the air box get a proper induction kit for it they are bout £75 and made by piperX best move i made and works better than the drilled air box!!

Dont these suck in unwanted hot air from engine? If you drill you box,do it wing side only and run a cold feed of air from behind the grill and you will notice the difference

You can't get an induction kit for a 1.8 16V! They're K-Jetronic and as such you have to keep the airbox as that's also the metering head! :roll:

Stick with a K&N and a few well drilled holes and you'll get a slight increase in responsiveness and a slightly nicer engine note... 8)

I tried to post this last night, but the server had gone down...

I'd recommend the airbox drilling mate, sounds much better, but dont go too overboard with drilling the holes, put some in , give it a blat, and see what you think. You can always put more in if you like. Take a look at the 'Embarrasing Drilled Airbox' thread before you make your airbox like a Swiss cheese. I'd still drill the airbox, just not excessively!

Think i saw one of these on ebay. It looked like it was just a normal 16v metering head upper part with pipercross foam cradle on the bottom. Think the foam was all round therefore exposed to the engine side as well?

Think i saw one of these on ebay. It looked like it was just a normal 16v metering head upper part with pipercross foam cradle on the bottom. Think the foam was all round therefore exposed to the engine side as well?

Yup, they're mainly for the 2.0 16Vs though, not the KR 1.8s...

They don't filter as well as a K&N panel will 'cos they're foam which will lead to increased engine wear... :?

I'm going to get myself a replacement panel filter, but i've read loads of post where people have been sent the wrong ones, so does anyone have the right part number for a 1990 1.8 16v?

same as for a late model golf 2 16v (89 on I think), i.e. the bigger, wider sized 16v air filter, my Jetex Response panel filter was ordered from Motech as a late golf2 16v item and was fine on my November 1990 1.8 16v

David.

:D how good are demon tweaks? ordered the filter yesterday afternoon and it was waiting for me when i got home from work tonight! thats well fast in my book!

just been and done it, my god! the noise is fantastic, the engines always had a bit of a whistle, the combined with my exhaust and the induction sound..... :twisted:

BWWWARPP WEEEEEE BRRRRRRAP!

:shock:

You can't get an induction kit for a 1.8 16V! They're K-Jetronic and as such you have to keep the airbox as that's also the metering head! :

stroeve motorsport do an induction kit for the 1.8. it is essentially a cone filter with a heat sheild on the engine side and fits under the fuel injection stuff where the air box is at the moment.