Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Loosing water

Hi guys n gals

When I first got my VR, it was loosing a lot of water but I put that down to the rad, as it was leaking. Got that replaced, but my coolant warning light comes on every 2 weeks or so. I can't see any leaks anywhere, there is no mayo in the oil, and there is no steam/codensation to suggest a cracked head. Any ideas?

dodgy expansion tank cap seal... get a new cap and see if that sorts it out... 8)

Good point, I didn't even cross my mind that may be why. The cap is a bit crappy, and very notchy to do up. It could well be that. Cheers Henny

yeah, it's one that catches a lot of people out (myself included in the past :roll: )... Good news is that they're reasonably cheap too... 8)

Have you checked the aux pump and thermostat housing for leaks? They might only leak under pressure, i.e when driving.

K

could be the plastic flanges that go into the block that the hoses connect to, im replacing all mine before the summer