emu

Wheel tracking and change of alloys from 15 to 17 ??

When was setting up wheel alignment in my old vr6 had a big problem due to not big enough gap between wheel and body arch and all garages can't fit their laser devices so I had to lift a car about 20mm :( Coilovers fitted. If I will lower a car afterwards will damage a tracking so it's pointless

What I was thinking is lower a car as I like on 17, then swap wheels on 15 what gives me big enough gap and then go for a tracking. Afterwards swap a wheels back on 17 but would it affect wheel alignment ??

Trouble is, a lowered car on 17s is even lower on 15s, physically, so the car might not even make it onto the ramps.

You only need a 2 finger arch gap to get the alignment rig's claws onto the tyre. If you then drop it 20mm when you get home, that won't hurt.

Ups, you right, gap will be even smaller on 15. 20mm is about 2 fingers, is what I had to lift a car.

That was a gap or lack of it on my Corado back in Poland and we have a company who could set up a tracking without lifting a car.

1111171.jpg

Mine's only got about a fingers worth of gap (I know that's a bit too low, but it looks good!) and the place I used didn't have a problem with it... drove much better after too! I think it depends on what sort of rig they've got; the one I used had the sensors and target attached to the ramp with a spacing device going to the wheel - didn't need to wrap them around the tyre so ride height was incidental. Try looking at some alternative garages near you to see if anyone has a similar system.

Or, just do what Kev says, he's bound to be right!

Mark

The gap to the arch will be larger since the wheel is smaller. It will just be closer to the ground, which may or may not be a problem depending on what sort of lift / ramp the garage has.

Mine's only got about a fingers worth of gap (I know that's a bit too low, but it looks good!)

A cadburys chocolate finger in your case! :lol: And yeah, yours does look good! :D