Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

'stage' tuning

been talking to a mate about tuning and 'stuff' and she asked if i'd thought about 'stage 1' as she had it on a mini, and it was basically an air filter, a new needle for the carb and some manifold gaskets. She said it put the power up by around 10% and was fairly cheap.

is this possible on a corrado? if so who does it, what sort of power hikes are likely and how much are they?

ta

chris (on a power trip ATM!)

no carb corrados so no on that one.

get a airfilter no probs k&n panel for the airbox

basically on a valve do the cam mod that theres post about, get a 50mm inlet if it doen't have one and a exhaust. thatll be stage 1 for probly 10-15% more grunt

K&N panel on the way, and i'm going to drill the airbox, got a full custom exhaust already :twisted:

not sure about the 50mm inlet, it's more than likely standard, and i did read the thing about the cams, so that looks like it might be the way to go, cheers!

there's 2 KR inlet manifolds... (KR being 1.8 16v engines)

One was 4 straight tubes across the top of the head, the other was 4 tubes that were fat at the front, narrowed, then fattened out again just before they hit the bit with "VW DOHC16V" written on it... ;) you should be able to tell the difference from that description... 8)

They were fitted to different cars, although I have no idea which car got which manifold... Golf 16Vs got both and it depends on age... Corrados (I think) all got the straight ones (better low end torque to deal with the extra weight, but less upper - hence lower BHP)

All I know is that my KR 16V (H plate) Corrado had the straight (thinner!) manifold on it, and I don't know what difference a bigger diameter one would make as I wrote the car off before I got chance to try it... :roll: :oops:

been talking to a mate about tuning and 'stuff' and she asked if i'd thought about 'stage 1' as she had it on a mini, and it was basically an air filter, a new needle for the carb and some manifold gaskets. She said it put the power up by around 10% and was fairly cheap.

is this possible on a corrado? if so who does it, what sort of power hikes are likely and how much are they?

ta

chris (on a power trip ATM!)

'stage' heads i.e. stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 etc... are often used to refer to the headwork that has been done, e.g. porting, gasflowing, bigger valves etc... but are essentially meaningless and a marketing tool.

This was very common terminology for sierra cosworth tuning too, but often included upping the boost on the turbos from a mild increase up to: 'your engine will last 5,000 miles maximum on this' :twisted:

Stage 1 is often used to describe a cylinder head that has had just basic gas flowing work done though, i.e. cheapest basic headwork.

David.