northG60

G60 setup

Hello all

Im just in the middle of taking my charger off as its going to JMR for a stage 4 rebuild

currently it has the standard outlet and i just measured the charger pully as 72mm

i know that the BBM RSR is very highly regarded so i'll be getting one before i put it all back together .

but is it worth getting a 68 mm pully over the 72mm ? also will i need to change the belt for a smaller belt ?

i noticed that g-werks sell a chip + belt and pully kit.(i have absolutely no idea what chip mine is running currently)

also my belt tensioner rubbers look a little worn ? i also noticed that G-werks sell a solid tensioner?

just want to get the lo-down on all the above really (advice please)

cheers guys

Edited by northG60

If your going for a stage 4 rebuild then you may as well go down to 68mm to get the most from the charger. You will need a new chip to adjust the fueling for the new pulley. Not sure if you will need to get a shorter belt going from 72 to 68mm, as the original pulley was 78mm so you may already have a shorter one fitted

I might just get a new belt anyway for peice of mind.

doesnt the BBM RSR build up boost allot faster ? due to its smaller size over the fat baffle box?

does G-werks use the SNS chips?

cheers

Yes the RSR should build boost quicker in theory, whether you notice or not is different. I made my own outlet similar to the RSR, couldn't notice any performance increase but really increased the charger noise, in a good way!

I'm mid way through similar upgrades and considerations. See link to build thread in my signature.

I went 68mm, belts but went with Bartek in Germany as I was also able to buy a kit with a schrick camshaft and followers and save a fair bit over buying individual items. I did however source BBM rsr from US but Bartek also have their version for 100 euros. I'll be bolting it all together over next month or so.

I see you have an upgraded exhaust so maybe a manifold would also be a consideration.

I did consider a p&p head and may still do so as it would finish the job in my opinion.

@domwells27, in what way did the sound change with the rsr?

@domwells27, in what way did the sound change with the rsr?

A lot more charger whine at high revs when nailing it, still the same at low speed/throttle. The factory outlet acted as a silencer so makes sense that it would be louder

The g-werks chips are the same as the sns ones, recently had my charger rebuilt at G-werks and aparently sns have gone under, but Darren has bought the patent for sns's anti-lag tech in their chips and now selling them under the g-werks name. Well worth a shout for the antilag alone. I would go to shorter belt if you're gonna fit a 68mm pulley as you can experience a degree of belt slip on some occasions if you dont. The rsr is also a good idea as it greatlt reduces back pressure and helps aid air through the charger much more efficiently. Only thing is i would say they are a bit expensive.

yeah i think i'll get a fresh belt for the 68mm (may aswell)

yeah Bartek RSR is a bit cheaper and the same i guess cheers for the heads up.

What about the solid tensioner (available from G-werks) to replace the original vag unit? anyone running one?

@mike 2006

think i'll probs leave the manifold as i was told the original was pretty damn good and im not going for crazy power at the moment

im guessing that you just speak to darren about the setup you have and he'll make the chip suit?

should be a bit quicker than she was before i get the rebuild after all the above is done.

cheers