jok

brake pipes

On my last MOT had an advisory for a few pipes showing corrosion. Is it worth sanding them down a bit and painting them? or should I replace the pipes?any ideas where to get'em and how much they cost?

cheers

ideally you would be looking to replace. if they were starting to go a year ago then odds are on they are ready now.

can buy from vw or just buy a reel from a spares place (parkers, gsf etc) if you plan to replace yourself. or go to a mechanic.

normally they get covered with a coat of grease or sometimes underseal rather than paint.

a slightly different point of view, nothing wrong with whacking a bit of hammerite on surface rust on brake pipes, most 15 year old pipes have some corrosion on them and a bit of extra protection won't harm them, depends if it's deep corrosion or not of course.

If you need to replace them most garages will make up lines for you, or you could buy a flaring tool and make them up yourself, copper replacement pipe is easy to bend as required.

Replace them, dont sand them and paint them, just replace them! Discussion over.

so......are you saying replace them!.

just kidding thanks for the replies will look at some new ones, need a mechanic though dont have the flange flare thingy!

just kidding thanks for the replies will look at some new ones, need a mechanic though dont have the flange flare thingy!

:lol:

(where are the rest of the smilies) :(

i got a £30 flaring tool from halfords, takes a few practice flares but forms them from copper grand.

once you've done them, put a bit of lacquer on for protection, stops them corroding so quick :)

i'd of a mind to look at them on a case by case basis.

i am remanufacting steel lines for corrados, what lines do you need, there is a post with lines and prices, search `remanufactured brake lines` i can also do them in copper.

I did the brakes on my mk4 polo a few years ago. It's dead easy, just like plumbing! Get onto bealUK and get yourself some male and female unions (a few quid for a tub full) and a flaring kit (about £20, less than halfords anyway!) it will take you about a day to change every pipe and you'll need to bleed the brakes when your done. If you've got a abs system on your car I would get a garage to bleed it though, pressure bleeding at home isn't fun.