Rob_B

Front door speakers for under £100

I need some new front speakers for my Corrado. I'm currently running an alpine headunit, 6x9's in the rear, 12inch sub in the boot and co axial speakers in the front.

My front speakers are shot and I need to replace them but I don't know alot about audio. Can I run component speakers off the headunit without an amp?

I'm also thinking about doing away with the rear 6x9's as apparently it will give me a better all sound in the front. Any suggestions?

Can anyone recommend some decent front speakers for £100?

Thanks in advance, Rob

Yes you can run components off the HU, and if you get something with a reasonable sensitivity they will go pretty loud.

I run Alpine SPG13CS speakers with the tweeters mounted on the door mirror triangles. The sound is miles better than the stuff that was in there before.

The mids were a straight swap fit and there's room just to the side of the mid for the tweeter. They were 50 as I ordered the E set but they sold out so gave the G instead. I think they are 75 anyway from caraudiosecurity.co.uk Also I fitted dynamat to the inside of the door card and door which has made such a difference I've used it all over the place to get rid of squeaks and rattles etc.

Here is my build thread...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51423-Pete-s-second-Corrado-new-ice-fitted-and-17-quot-Speedlines-on-order!&p=723585#post723585

I was looking at those speakers anyway, and ordered a set. Got some sound proofing and fitted the tweeters to the mirror triangles.

Only put a couple of sheets in the doors but it seems to have made a difference with less rattling of the door.

Removed the rear speakers and am now running just a sub with the components. bloody brilliant! Sound awesome.

The 6x9's were good, but needed to be loud to sound really good to me. These Components sound superior across the volume range for me.

Well worth the money

Nice one I'm really pleased you like them. I think its a nicer install using the triangles rather than the dash mounts.

Toying with sub idea myself, but can't be bothered with the cabling LOL

I do enjoy having the sub in there, just adds the extra depth that music needs. I don't have mine up loud so it overpowers the treble and mid, just enough to enhance the sound.

I recovered my parcel shelf to cover the holes from the 6x9's so only have the fronts and sub. I think it sounds better than having the rear speakers attached. The holes in the shelf let the bass travel nicely aswell.

It's also let me move the sound stage to the front which is half the reason it sounds better. Those speakers are fantastic compared to the alpine e series speakers I had in there previously. So much more depth.

Highly recommended. Cost £80 from car audio direct

You guys have Twisted my arm (in a round about way)! Just purchase a pair of Alpine SPG13CS. Will let you know the out come..........or more the "what the hell have i done wron" :scratch:.

Thanks for the recomendation Pete:thumbleft:

Rory

No problemo! I have been using Alpine kit for years and always found it great vfm in this price bracket.

Make sure you fit some dynamat or similar at the same time though, it'll make a massive difference.

I've now got a full compliment of alpine gear aswell and am super chuffed with it all. Not expensive and quality sounds. Can't ask for more than that

Thinking of going down the same route as you guys. Where do you buy the dynamat from? And it just fits to the rear of the door card?

I got my speakers and sound deadening from car audio direct. It's a sticky backed padding that you stick to the inside of the door on the metalwork. Not on the back of the doorcard.

Take the door card off, give the metal skin a bit of a clean with some thinners or brake and clutch cleaner and stick on. Press down firmly to make sure it sticks properly and job done. Loads of different thicknesses an brands for your different levels of deadening. I just bought the cheapest lot of 8 sheets. £20 or something. Reflects some of the sound waves from the speaker and reduces vibration in the door. Well worth doing while you have the door card off to fit the speakers

So i don't remove the plastic sheeting that covers the actual door (when the door card is removed? Think its some sort of wind/rain proofing.

Just stick the dynamat to the metal frame and this plastic sheeting?

Sorry if i sound thick, just want to sort it out in one go so want to get all the bits together.

Take the plastic sheet off aswell and stick the sound deadening right onto the door skin. You will see what I mean. no need to put it on the metal framework.

I put it on both the metal and the door card, and basically anywhere I could find. I took the plastic off at the bottom and put it inside and on the outer door skin. just make sure you don't foul the window mechanisms. Then resealed it. I've also put it behind rear cards, under tunnel, boot, headlining and behind dash. now the car is like a little s class merc its really quiet!

been offered an Alpine VR twin sub/box are they any good?????

I have no idea mate. My alpine sub is the type s model which ive had for about 8years and is still going strong!

Hi Mat, don't know much about the Pioneers, but whatever you choose I genuinely would advise you to get components for the fronts.

No matter how good the speakers, having the tweeter down by your knees ain't the way forward lol.

Mount the tweets like I did behind the mirrors and it really is a simple job.

Edited by Pete

Agree with pete. I had some co axials in the front (separate tweeter and woofer but no crossover unit) which were ok, but the alpine components really beefed up the sound at the front.

Thanks gents will head in that direction, no rush but the new head unit shows how s**te the original speakers are! ;)

Mat to be honest I think you would be better off ditching both those pioneer speakers and getting 1 set of decent components for the front. for me it is far superior to having half decent speakers in the front and 6x9's on the shelf. I dont care if people in the back cant hear the music too well, I don't sit there!