Alex_G60_Fanatic

Anti-vibration device

The one attached to the front of the subframe... Do i need it? looks like a hunk of pointless steel to me but i assume it helps in some way?

is it vibration form the steering rack? suspension? :scratch:

advice please on removing

ITS A BOMB!!! EVERYBODY RUN FOR COVER!!! nah but seriously you will go blind if you remove it.

ITS A BOMB!!! EVERYBODY RUN FOR COVER!!! nah but seriously you will go blind if you remove it.

AGH! :bomb:

realy! it's only a kilo or so... does it really help that much?! :confused4:

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

or are you saying ill blind in the same way folk tell me ill go blind if I continue to... you know.... 6 times a day

oh you wanted a serious answer from me? oh sorry... how rude of me:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193583

but yes, you will go blind if you continue to start arguments between g60's and VR6's 6 times a day. Oh and I wouldn't advise doing it whilst eating cheesy poofs either, it turns your... well you know the rest

oh and how do you get all those smileys? have you memorised the code or something?

Edited by swiftkid

Oh and I wouldn't advise doing it whilst eating cheesy poofs either, it turns your... well you know the rest

I dunno man... it may well IMPROVE things :lol: hmmm, cheesy

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

thanks for link though man... it would seem I don't need it then, so long as I don't mind a little harmonic resonance but I assume that this would be at certain speeds/RPM's so i aint bothered. I'll hold onto it though, i can always throw it back on quick

Yeah it's a 'vibration absorber'. My Bimmer estate has a huge chunk of metal on one of the exhaust hangers for the same reason. On that car, the exhaust system is very long and it can resonate. The hunk of metal absorbs it. On the 4 cylinder Corrados, the engine at certain loads / rpms can resonate into the cabin. The hunk of metal on the sub frame absorbs it!

If you remove it, I guarantee one day you'll be driving along, hit that particular resonance and then say to yourself "Hmmm, so that's why VW put that big chunk of metal there" :lol:

In the grand scheme of things, a kilo or 2 of metal is not going to kill your cars performance, so I'd leave it there personally.

In the grand scheme of things, a kilo or 2 of metal is not going to kill your cars performance, so I'd leave it there personally.

indeed Kev but the reason I ask is that I have forgotten to refit it :lol:

When i took the subframe off to clean it and fit new wishbones, PAS pipes etc. I took it off and only this morning spotted it wasn't fitted.

I'll have a look to see how easy it is to fit without removing the subframe. If it's a simple matter then I'll pop it back on. If not, It's nice to know I wont explode due to it's absence!

i always thought the 'vibration absorber' on the subframe on a g60 was about as useful as an underwater hair-drier. The exhaust resonates even on bloody idle.

If i had a quid for every time someone said 'your exhaust is blowing mate' id be a rich man. Doesnt help the exhaust weighs half the car,bit of a overkill by VW

/\ Just to confirm, the weight on my Bimmer's exhaust is specifically for exhaust harmonics. The one on the G60 subframe is for engine harmonics.

Some folk don't notice it's removal as you say, in which case that's fine. I'm sure a customer somewhere or a super fussy VW engineer noticed a vibration, hence fitting the weight.

id say it for both kev,engine and exhaust,on a g60 anyway. the exhaust is pretty rigid compared to alot for cars ive seen

i can tell when g60 is running right cause it doesnt vibrate as much.

Tempermental old bag, and thats just the wife!! :lol: