robo22sri

what to do!

i have a bit of a dilemma!

i have found a great g60 with air ride and lots of body work! its a little over my budget, but it looks great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47596[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47597[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47598[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47599[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47600[/ATTACH]

or do i still think about getting a vr6 that has not been touched?

Looks ridiculous! I'd have an unmolested, well loved VR6 over that in a heartbeat. Really depends what you want from a Corrado though.. that's not my bag at all! Stupid stretch and tyres that are within a micron of rubbing into the arch make me want to go and punch something ;)

I appreciate this is a sweeping statement and not true for ALL show cars (e.g. OSV's, etc) but the majority that have had all the money plouged into the external details (paint, alloys, etc) are usually lacking on the proper maintenance that only enthusiasts tend to get down to.. changing bushes, under-side rust treatment / repair, etc etc!

Hard to say. A well modified G60 is equally as good as a standard VR6 (shh, don't tell the G60 crowd I admitted that). It depends on what type of car you're really after. Personally I'd take a standard car over a modified one (engine and suspension mods are fien in my book but the body has to be close to standard).

You say the G60 has a nice air ride and bodywork but what is the rest of the car like? has the engine been well maintained? Does everything work? Does it have a good history? Have the common faults been addressed?

Could you live with the modifications and could they be put back to standard easily (it's sometimes harder to re-sell a modified car)?

A modified G60 and a stock VR6 are going to give dramatically different ownership experiences. Only you know which one of those you're looking for.

Personally, my nod would be towards a nice VR6.

i dont use my current car now lol, i am only looking for a weekend toy lol

i like the look of what has been done the car, the handles changed and extended bonnet

it has 168k on the clock, the guy who owns it says he services every year with out fail and it doesnt get driven much

he was going to put a vr6 turbo lump in it but it stand to much money spent on it already, he says he spent 11k on the car including purchase, you can see alot of money and effort has been put into it

i really want to get a standard vr6 and put a milltek on it and some coilovers,

i like the look of what has been done the car, the handles changed and extended bonnet

Keep in mind that others may not like what has been done. If you intend to keep the car a long time then it's not relevant. but if you may sell it in a year then it's possible that it will be harder to sell.

it has 168k on the clock, the guy who owns it says he services every year with out fail and it doesnt get driven much

Does he have receipts to prove the service history? Also with a car this age it's about more than just yearly servicing. Can he demonstrate that parts have been replaced such as heater matrix, various hoses, bushes, etc?

he was going to put a vr6 turbo lump in it but it stand to much money spent on it already

That's an odd thing to do unless he either deosn't like the G60 experience or the engine has issues. Most people buy a G60 because it's a G60.

he says he spent 11k on the car including purchase, you can see alot of money and effort has been put into it

His purchase price isn't really very relevant to you as prices have fallen a lot recently. How much of the cost was bodywork and how much was maintaining the fundamental parts of the car?

i really want to get a standard vr6 and put a milltek on it and some coilovers,

Well I think that's your answer. If you buy this then you may always look back and regret not getting the car you really wanted. And when one does come up this will be harder to sell because it's not standard.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a G60 and I'd certainly have one. But personaly I agree with others that I would prefer a nice well cared for, unmodified, VR6 to this particular car.

Not trying to put you off it at all because it may well be a fantastic car. But personally it's not to my taste and I think you need to consider more that just the body.

i have to admit the cosmetics of the car are drawning me to lol

every good vr6 goes very quick :(

i know in my mind that the engine in the car now would be pulled out a new one put in, i want to keep a corrado for a good few years

i did say to the guy selling its a bit like marmite, it will either sit around for an age or go straight away

Seems a touch high to me for a marmite car. You could get a very good VR6 for that.

£4K would buy a very nice VR6, or a less nice one with change for some coilovers and a Milltek.

I'm not sure that particular G60 would make a good long term ownership proposition. Too much metal surgery, so it might start to rust and as you get older and you tastes change, you may not want flared arches and bad boy bonnets etc anymore. Always best to start off with standard imo, then add your own touches. Highly modified cars will always be "Renshaw's old car" or "So and So's old car". It'll just feel like you're renting it.....

i keep looking at the guy on here with the vr6 24v converted rado and think i could buy that instead :scratch:

a vr6 with a milltek sounds the nuts!

I would stick to your idea of the standard VR6, you can make it your own then. The modded one looks good as a show piece but I reckon it would be a nightmare to live with and keep it in that condition.

Corrado's are what i think is a proper drivers car, with it that low and the tyres and arches so close you hit a bump at any speed something bad is going to happen, it will effect how much you enjoy the car and how you can drive unless going slow in a car park is your thing.

To make it more practical and driveable your going to have to throw a little more cash at it. G60 or VR6 3k will get you a nice example with 1k left to make it yours.

Corrado's are what i think is a proper drivers car, with it that low and the tyres and arches so close you hit a bump at any speed something bad is going to happen, it will effect how much you enjoy the car and how you can drive unless going slow in a car park is your thing.

To make it more practical and driveable your going to have to throw a little more cash at it. G60 or VR6 3k will get you a nice example with 1k left to make it yours.

I would think the pic showing the low stance is the car dropped to give a show look rather than being able to drive it like that. There's no signs of rubbing so looks to be dropped for the pics. I don't think air suits a Corrado as has been said above its a drivers car, it should have a very good adjustable coilover setup on it (would love that for mine!).

Edit: Just noticed the white in the engine bay, so could a colour change be hiding any nasties?

Edited by 8vMatt

Exactly. I have a fairly highly modded G60 and it has some external mods, but that one looks OTT to the point of being a pain to drive. I'm sure it's a great show car so if you're into that then might be a good purchase, but looks a bit 'style over function' for me. G60s are all about fun (especially after a few 200bhp+ mods) so I'd want one that could survive on our roads. That's just my preference though, I guess everyone's different. If you want scene respect then just get an old polo for £100, throw acid on the bonnet and put 22inch Bentley rims on it. If you want a drivers car then get the 24v VR :)