tony_ack

2nd gear crunch...

Do Corrados suffer from this? I know MK2 Golfs are notorious for it, but there doesn't seem to be much about it in the search.

I've had a crunch a couple of times but I can't decide whether it was just a lazy clutch leg on my part, or if it was the car.

It only crunches from 1st to 2nd, but unlike the Golfs I've had which tend to be predictable and crunch worse when cold and on quick upshifts, the 2 times it has happened with the Corrado, everything has been up to temp and it's just a normal gearchange (i.e. no quick shift or particularly hard acceleration). There is no crunch before it happens, and none afterwards, even if I try to repeat it.

Other than that the gearchange is fine, just a tad notchy which is a trait of the cable change I believe, and no whining or other noises. New clutch and flywheel about 30000 miles ago.

might just have hit a worn spot on the synchro on 2nd I guess, 2nd suffers the most as it has the biggest speed/ratio difference to make up and get used the most.

As far as the VR6 02A trans goes:

Reluctance to engage until up to temperature = Normal

Crunching = Not normal

I had my box rebuilt about 5 years ago as it did the same thing and it also had the usual "rattling marbles" sound with the pedal up at idle (when hot), which is a worn layshaft bearing.

It's well worth doing if you've got the cash, otherwise try a better quality oil, such as Redline MT90 as it has a long track record of working well in VAG gearboxes.

I don't know how much a trans rebuild is these days, but be warned, the 1st to 2nd syncro is a two-peice part and the most expensive syncro by far. Diff crown wheel bolts are usually included in the rebuild as a precaution against the original rivets shearing off and wrecking the whole box. It happened to a friend last year.

As your clutch was done 30K, I suspect you won't want to drop the box again :lol:

Cheers for the replies -In the Corrado there are no grinding noises with the clutch up or down, it really just is this occasional crunch. The box now has nearly 220000 miles on it to be fair.

I was also stung by the riveted diff problem in the Golf, but caught it just in time (very wobbly driveshafts but still a couple of rivets left in place). I ended up just putting in a second hand box as it was low miles, sounded fine and I got it cheap! I put in Redline MTL from the outset just to be safe! Is there much difference between MTL and MT90?

Luckily the clutch was changed by the previous owner, but looking at how much the whole job cost (it included chains as well) I'm hoping the gearbox never needs to be touched again.