toledo

A refreshing attitude from a car manufacturer !

While researching Mercedes-Benz in preparation for a job interview on monday i came across this and thought how nice it must be to have the help and back-up from a company who are obviously proud of their history and keen to assist & encourage owners to maintain and renovate their older models , contrasts to the typical attitude given like the VW dealer near me who when asked which calipers might graft onto the rear of my rado stated that cars cannot / should not be maintained like that and cars over a certain age should be scrapped.

Quote: The Mercedes-Benz Classic Center is the official Mercedes-Benz department for Mercedes-Benz classic car owners and enthusiasts. It was first opened on May 18, 1993 in Fellbach, just outside of Stuttgart. A second location was opened in June 2006 in Irvine, California.

Overview

The Classic Center provides genuine parts, repairs, restorations, and information for and sales of historic Mercedes-Benz vehicles that are at least 15 years out of production. It helps Classic Mercedes-Benz car owners to obtain information and documentation on their vehicle (upon proof of ownership) and also offers consulting and technical appraisals for their vehicles.

Edited by toledo

Volkswagen version. Cars over 15 years old. Try and forget they ever existed and make all the parts obsolete. (That way they'll have to buy another car from us.)

VW have started to get their act together on this through their own classic parts arm. It'll be interesting to see how far it goes. I fear the Corrado will suffer due to low demand for parts however.

^^^ Why?

Super coupe, not really marketed, overpriced financial disaster. We love them, VW want to forget them. They were initially omitted from their "timeline". Nuff said.

Exactly. The mk2 is older then the Corrado and plenty of Mk2 parts are still available. Yet Corrado parts seem to be harder to hold of from the dealers. I cant see that improving even with the new scheme. They'll want to just forget the corrado ever existed - sadly.

What was the deal with prices. Did VW have to price them as they did simply to make a profit becuase they cost so much to make. Or did VW get greedy with the amount of profit they wanted to make?

Someone could make allot of money by making a single point of contact for Corrado parts, basically a Corrado 'breakers' where everything is catalogued by original part number.

Of course, you'd need the land/a unit to carefully dismantle them but for the amount ropey ones cost now you'd make a fortune!

I'm not sure you'd make a lot of money to be fair, especially nowadays - hence you don't see people who used to do exactly what you're describing like 'bigpantsbaby' on here much any more.