elliott

7hrs later and I still can't get the front subframe off?

Just spent a long day under the c trying to pull the frame out but i've run out of steam...

Got all the bolts out with only one needing some extra attention but it seems the engine mounts are rusted onto the engine brackets?

Can anyone help?

Looks like an expensive time ahead, the list of parts is getting longer by the day....:pale:

mine just dropped out with a light jiggle, you've definitely removed the 6 subframe bolts, steering knuckle bolt, engine mount and gearbox mount bolts?!

Thank you all, subframe just hit the floor after some persuasion from mr crow bar. The gear box mount bolt snapped so that'll give you the idea of the state of my car.

wishbone bushes, arb bushes, bottom ball joints, track rod ends and engine mounts are the order of today. Anything else i've missed lol.

That steering knuckle joint looks like fun to put back on... any tips please?

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Just snapped one of the bolts that holds the wishbone on, time for a beer....

get the r32 rear wishbone bush, its apparently better than the vr item as its more solid - not driven mine yet, but supposed to give better braking/ steering feel. two other items are a steering rack bush and arb drop links whilst you're at it. all of that will be scary enough money from the dealers :/

take it you're not dismantling the inner or outer cv's and hubs? did you manage to remove the drive shaft from the hub okay?!

the rubber boot round the knuckle can be folded back, but it is tough rubber, i also persuaded the steering clasp to open a tiny bit with a screwdriver, it slipped over easy enough after that, and if you have a long bar you can then persuade it home with a few light taps before refitting the bolt :)

Got the standard bushes already and i don't really want to spend too much on the old girl. The hubs are still on the car hanging from the struts but yeah its all scary when it comes to the dealers.

This corrado ownership is starting to grind me down.

After drilling the bolt out so I could remove the wishbone i've found the hole in the subframe has no thread?

It looks like its been botched in the past and a nut has been fitted to the back of the wishbone bolt inside the subframe. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

I'm now thinking about a second hand subframe (if such a thing exists) or welding a nut back into the frame I have (steering geometry aint going to be 100%)

there should be a captive nut in the subframe yes, you can pick up second hand subframes from various sites or ebay if you dont fancy welding a new on in, bear in mind they altered between corrado models too.

Had a look around and couldn't see any so I'm just going to weld another nut into the frame. Bloody nightmare but it'll all come together eventually. thanks.

Stick at it mate, wish i could be of some help but i have never removed any of those bits(too scared lol)

Stick at it mate, wish i could be of some help but i have never removed any of those bits(too scared lol)

If i knew it was going to take this long and involve so much swearing I'd have left it well alone but needs must, my car drove like a shopping trolley and this should bring it back. (I hope)

JOB DONE!

Finished up at 12.30am after many days of fighting rusty snapped bolts and crusty pipes. Old cars rock! (untill the next problem)

The car will handle so much better ! it makes it worth while The most valueble thing I have learned is patience for when everything goes wrong at once...

The thing I've found most rewarding with mine is that each time I do something to it, it is def a bit better to drive. It might sound like stating the obvious, but from the work you've done, you'll probably agree. It's adictive tho. I keep wanting to imprive different aspects. Picking up a new gearbox tmrw and got high hopes I'll reach the end of the tunnel for a nice driving experience.

Oh, and just on the old/new car thing, I've been driving my friends A3 3.2 for a few days and always prefer getting back into the Rado. It doesn't run out of steam at 5krpm :)

Yeah, new cars are no fun. They always get you to where your going and never want for anything. :)

Off to nextyre tomorrow for a full alignment so I'll know if all the work was worth it, on the plus side the down pipe is no longer hitting the steering rack which is nice.