Slimg60

Unable to bleed one rear brake?

having just replaced the front calipers and bled them, I decided to bleed the rears today to improve the feel of the pedal.

Tie Wrapped the Bias Valve open and bled the rear drivers side fine.

Opened the passenger side and only a few drips come out.

At the time I was using an ezibleed kit at 19/20psi. Reverted back to the conventional way with the wife on the pedal and she said there was a lot of resistance in the pedal, to the point where she couldnt press it to the floor even with the bleed nipple open.

What could cause this and whats the best cause of action?

I would look at the rear hose at the back of the disc. It may have collapsed. Just take it off and see if you can pass a piece of electrical wire through it easily.

Remove the nipple completely and see if something is blocking the hole?

Can you open the nipple and push the piston back?

Leave the hose on the car and undo the caliper from the other end (remove the caliper first) that way you can see if fluid will flow without risk of damaging the hardlines union or pipe

Bleed nipple blocked? degrading hose rubber blocking the nipple internally?take the nipple off completely

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

sorry dox....you beat me to it! ;)

Checked the nipple and it's clear :(

Might be a good opertunity to fit the goodrich hoses for the rear I have in the shed :D

undo the hose to caliper and see if fluid is coming out when you push pedal, could be something blocked

slim be aware that the bias valve has a habit of siezing or part seizing.both of mine did.

loads of WD40 and taps with a hammer on the load adjusting lever will loosen it but if your getting flow to other side it shouldnt be the prob.might help

Cool, thanks for the replys guys

Does the Bias valve work seperately for each side? I know for the drivers side that it works fine, when I release it the flow stops and with it held open the fluid flows.

I'm going to take it to an MOT station tomorrow to get the rear brake effecience checked.

The pedal feels fine and not spongy, but it's just strange how there is now flow to the bleed nipple.

its a crossed circut so front left comes out on the rear right.

The bias valve SHOULD send fluid to both rears calpiers EQUALLY but if theirs air in the lines it will effect front and back differently on different sides.

Hmmm, the fronts feel very even and the pedal isn't spongy. The car pulls up evenly under braking too.

I guess if there was air in one half of the system then I'd feel it in the pedal.

as as general rule of thumb-

Bleed calpier biggest distance from the resevior first,rear left on rhd,then rear right,front left and front right.then you can be certain theres no air in the system.

Sometimes you need to press the brake down hard and fast to get rid of the air as the fluid can get past the air bubbles at times witout removing them if you pump slowly.Just something ive picked up bleeding brake systems