Toohottotrot

Corrado trip to the Med

Well after a quick blast down the motorways and autoroutes I'm drinking beer on the balcony in the South of France. The Vr6 behaved fine on the thousand mile trip, sat on 3500 rpm, 85-90 mph all the way, not bad for a car I've only owned for a little over 3 weeks! MFA shows an average mpg of 32:thumbleft:

Pics to follow over the next few days :)

Lucky you, where in the south of France are you?

I used to live ut Toulon and wish I was out there now

Lucky you, where in the south of France are you?

I used to live ut Toulon and wish I was out there now

I'm in Nice, my sister has a couple of places here.......30c and sunny here today, but drove through hours of rain between Reims and marseille.

Ahh nice :D not far from where I was then.

Jealous isnt the word :(

32 mpg at that speed is good going ........ good idea to drive to your holiday destination that way you can have fun and enjoy your trip home instead of a god awful plane journey home !! have a good one fella.

32 mpg at that speed is good going ........ good idea to drive to your holiday destination that way you can have fun and enjoy your trip home instead of a god awful plane journey home !! have a good one fella.

Cheers, yep I like to have my own car with me whenever possible, and as you say the drive home is better than the plane trip!

The cars on 17s and 40 tyres, not sure how much this affects the gearing but it cruised easy at this speed, never once felt the need to reach for another gear.

Can't remember the mph to rpm figure on my previous Corrados as I sold my previous one (of 3) back in 2003. Anyone on here got my old VR6? It was classic green/black leather N**CKY. I noticed its still taxed :)

Parked the Corrado by the beach today, in as much shade as I could find. Spent 3 hours on the beach got back to the car, turned on the ignition and the oil still read 50c.....hot day! :)

Had a blast along one of my favourite roads in the world today, the N98 coast road toward St Tropez. Lots of twists and turns coupled with a few sheer drops! Spent a hot afternoon on the beach as the Corrado's ambient temperature readout confirms :)

Only one drawback, these 40 series tyres coupled with French roads........I think I lost all my fillings!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48301[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48303[/ATTACH]

oh it sounds like your having a rubbish time :smug:

Yep, totally........you would all hate it! lol!!!!

Oh and that's not me in the pic.......Some Lupo GTI driver that tagged along for the ride! ;)

Edited by Toohottotrot

Very jealous! I took the Rado round France last year, was just brilliant for touring about. And lots of people in France kept ogling at it!

Very jealous! I took the Rado round France last year, was just brilliant for touring about. And lots of people in France kept ogling at it!

Yep it does turn a few heads, even among the exotic stuff around here. The aftermarket exhaust helps, I love to blip the throttle in crowded areas......I'm just a hoon at heart! ;)

Just about to load up the Corrado, setting off for home in a short while. Slide into the drivers seat for a non stop 800 mile drive up to the ferry port.....usually around 9 hours!

How are you dealing with the lack of air con? One thing i'm not looking forward to next month especially as I have leather seats :(

I would take the route through the Alps, so you are in and out of the shade - drive at full pelt windows wide open for maximum air flow and enjoy !!

You could try taking lots of water to deal with the dehydration too. ;-)

If you stop before you leave the car, put both front seats forward - stops the a..... being burnt quite so badly - and - looks after the leather better.

Well I'm sat at home, got back in the early hours from my 1040 mile drive. Péage well and truly spanked Pete!!!! Took it steady up to Lyon cruised at around 80ish still showing nearly 32mpg! Hit lots of stationary traffic around an hour south of Lyon and through Lyon itself (as usual) which cost me around an hour and a half.

Stopped for half an hour near Dijon, fueled up even though it was showing over a quater full with just over half way to go. Swift sandwich on a glorious hot summer afternoon and back into the pilots seat!

Ok got confidence in the cars reliability now, so picked up the pace! Sat at 100mph with several trips past 120.....just to make the point to the odd Porsche etc!

Passed a couple of stationary police cars at over 100.....bugger! Got a look but they did not chase.....phew!!!

So France was conqured in 11 hours (Nice to Dunkirk) and the Corrado returned 30.2 mpg! Not my best time but then traffic was busy, have previously done Nottinghamshire to St Tropez in a shade under 14 hours non-stop driving time, on more than one occasion.....but this was the first time in a Corrado :)

To your question on the Air con, Pat: Air is nice and we have used the Lupo on a couple of trips which has this. But to be honest we don't use it that much as we love the heat and it's not that hot! Leather seats look nice but boy are they sweaty! We have grey cloth :)

Wendy......driving at full pelt with the windows down, don't forget to tilt the sunroof too! :)

I have owned and driven many fast and expensive cars over the years since I sold my last Corrado. Porsche, Ford V8'S to name just two. But nothing feels like the 'rado! Not sure what it is "Je ne sais quoi"......possibly? ;)

We looked back at the car as we ate lunch in the rest area, sat among modern Euro box's, low and mean looking it stood out! I laughed as the phrase "lower than a dachshunds donger" came to mind! lol

So to sum up the Corrado ate the miles with ease and relative economy. Is it good to be back in a Corrado after 9 years away......hell yes!!!!

All I have to do now is buld me a brand new one........watch this space!!! :)

Mj