P3rks

Mocal Sandwich plate fitting - g60 with a Rallye FMIC

Hey guys and girls..

I'm having trouble fitting my Mocal sandwich plate to my G60. I'm removing the original oil cooler and blocking off the water pipes (have Samco hoses).

The car has a Rallye FMIC fitted with the Golf U-Bend outlet. This outlet sits right in front of the oil filter housing meaning the sandwich plate outlets can't face straight forward.

This means that fitting my sandwich plate is a nightmare. The outlets either have to come out:

- In between the u-bend outlet and the metal waterpipe (where the block meets the gearbox), but means the oil pipes foul the radiator and I have to relocate the knock sensor wiring (where it meets the engine loom). It fits, just, but I'm worried about heat transfer and rubbing as it's a real tight fit.

Or

- Have the outlets facing the water pump and have the oil pipes squeezed in between all the water

hoses then down and under the front engine mount. Once again I'm worried about heat transfer and rubbing.

How have you with the Rallye U-Bend fitted your sandwich plate?

Thanks!!

Think mine was like the 2nd when it was a g. All a bit tight but it went ok in the end. Heat transfer won't be an issue, the oil will be super cool.

Rubbing wasn't an issue either.

Just have a play and see what sits best for you. It will go though and mine was never a problem. Just a bit tight!

Hey guys and girls..

I'm having trouble fitting my Mocal sandwich plate to my G60. I'm removing the original oil cooler and blocking off the water pipes (have Samco hoses).

The car has a Rallye FMIC fitted with the Golf U-Bend outlet. This outlet sits right in front of the oil filter housing meaning the sandwich plate outlets can't face straight forward.

This means that fitting my sandwich plate is a nightmare. The outlets either have to come out:

- In between the u-bend outlet and the metal waterpipe (where the block meets the gearbox), but means the oil pipes foul the radiator and I have to relocate the knock sensor wiring (where it meets the engine loom). It fits, just, but I'm worried about heat transfer and rubbing as it's a real tight fit.

Or

- Have the outlets facing the water pump and have the oil pipes squeezed in between all the water

hoses then down and under the front engine mount. Once again I'm worried about heat transfer and rubbing.

How have you with the Rallye U-Bend fitted your sandwich plate?

Thanks!!

I have the same setup as you and have my oil cooler mounted where the standard intercooler used to fit (under the passenger wing). The factory water/oil cooler has been removed with the sandwich plate connectors facing the front of the car (well slightly angled towards the front engine mount). The pipes just fit in here and just clear the U bend. My hoses have 90 degree connectors and run under the car with the water hoses to the oil cooler. It all works very well. I will post some pics later when I am home so you can see what i mean.

Nice one.. Pics would be useful please!

I found another issue.. my oil cooler is too long to fit in the intercoolers place.. I ordered a 235mm instead of a 115mm.. Doh..

Any advice where I can fit it? I'm loathed to fit it in front of the intercooler... Oil cooler-intercooler-radiator is a bit overkill is it not?

Does it not fit sideways in the intercooler place? Thats where mine sits happily enough.

To be honest if u fit it in front of the rad I don't think it will be a problem. By removing the heat exchanger you will instantly drop the water and oil temps. The cooler will reduce the temps further.

I can take some pics at some point this week if it helps, though mine is a 20v now

Does it not fit sideways in the intercooler place? Thats where mine sits happily enough.

To be honest if u fit it in front of the rad I don't think it will be a problem. By removing the heat exchanger you will instantly drop the water and oil temps. The cooler will reduce the temps further.

I can take some pics at some point this week if it helps, though mine is a 20v now

As in resting on it's side? So the inlet and outlet are above and below each other? Nope, It's too long.

Or do you mean so the inlet and outlet at the top?

Yeah I meant so the inlet and outlet are in the vertical plane. What about laying it down with the inlet and outlet pointing to the engine but the cooler leaning backwards in the space? It doesn't need to sit bolt upright, it will get plenty of air through there which ever way it sits.

Hmmm..

I'll have a look tonight and let you know which works..

If you could in the meantime get some photo's that would be grand! Thanks a lot Rob!

th_4784d79e.jpg

th_524d3733.jpg

th_8f6f03b1.jpg

its actually more difficult than I thought to take pictures of the oil cooler! Anyway, not sure if the sandwich plate picture will help as mine is a different engine. Can't remember how it went in the G60, was tight though.

The pictures of the cooler were taken from behind the passenger wheel at a slight angle. However, hopefully you can just about see that the cooler has both pipes on the side, and is slanted back about 60 degrees. We made some basic brackets up to hold the cooler in place and job done. Nice and snug in there and works perfectly.

For a long time I did not have the bottom grill in the front bumper, and my oil temps were really low, mostly 80 driving normally. More often than not I fitted a blanket around the cooler to actually get some heat into the oil, such was the efficiency of the kit. I have fitted the bottom grill now and this has the effect of deflecting the air upwards as it goes through the bumper. This in turn has seen an increase in my oil temps (less direct airflow), but only by a few degrees. I took the jacket off the cooler when we were having our heat wave because the oil was getting up to 100 sometimes!

Now that the grill is in the bumper again, I'm very happy with the temps of my oil.

Hope that helps a little

Nice one.. I understand now.

So literally the mocal outlets face the engine and the furthest outlet on the mocal (in the picture) is towards the front bumper.

I'll get that done tomorrow and update!

Thanks a lot for that buddy! :thumbleft:

Yeah thats the one! Like I say, mine is in there at a 60degree angle or something (it wasn't that scientific, that's just how it sat!). The leading edge sits at the top of the splitter and the trailing edge goes up at the best angle possible so that it fits in there!

Give it a whirl and let me know