lukey1507

Corrado 2.0 16V cranks but won't start

Could anyone help please?

I've got a problem with my corrado, when im trying to start it the engine will crank but it won't start. Fuuny thing is the when you push the car to start it it will do so straight away!?

I changed fuel pump reley and it didn't help. All the problem started since I changed the oxygen sensor, it's OEM Bosh sensor and i'm pretty confident that it works fine, so why would the car start with no problem what's so ever when when you push it but won't when you turn the key?

Could anyone help please?

How old is the battery, If it's on the weak side it can cause this. Try a known good battery and see what happens. Had a similar problem a few years ago.

Thanks for reply

I think if the battery was weak then I would imagine it would be turning the engine over for that long, battery seems to be in good order but you can see that it's an old one. I will try to swap the batteries and see what happens.

First time I had this problem with starting the car was after changing the oxygen sensor, I changed then a fuel pump relay and the car started straight away but his time changing a fuel pump relay didn't sort the problem out? Would it be some electrical problem? Sometimes when you put the key into ignition and turn it to start the car, the RPM needle would be going all over the show when engine cranks....

Could that be anything to do with fuel delivery? Maybe the lift pump in the tank clogged up? or something

I don't know much about all these complicated bits, the KR engine doesn't have them. I would start with the basics. After cranking and not starting whip out a plug and see what it's like. If it's wet with fuel it's probably an ignition side problem, dry probably fuel. A little niggle in the back of my head is muttering about the ignition switch, try giving it a good wiggle and turning it hard while trying to start it.

Sorry just one more question,,,, once i checked the sparks on the plugs and lets say it ok and then plugs are wet and the car still won't start, only when pushed, how come would it be ignition switch? Also there's two ignition switches if im not mistaken, one where you put the key in and the other on the meetering head is that right?

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate that.

I'm might have to sell this car soon as im facing loseing my licence :(

The ignitions switches get worn and "forget" to turn circuits on, for want of a better phrase. It was only a thought and worth a wiggle of the key to see what happens. There is only one ignition switch as such. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the 2.0l will come along with some better suggestions.

Sorry to hear about the licence problem, can only hope for the best. Unless it's for drink driving then you'll only get what you deserve.

HI Rob

Thanks for your reply. It starts straight away when bumped but won't if you turn the key on. I thought I was fuel delivery problem...spark plugs don't get wet after cranking the engine. Somebody said that it might be a fuel lift pump...I don't know I'm not that clued up...

Could it be the starter motor?

If bumping always makes it start it wouldn't be fuel related...

Hi Everyone

My bloody car still don't work!!! Changed the ignition switch and the battery but it still won't start! The whole thing is very confusing, after changing the ignition switch as advised I managed to start it with the jump leads still on the old battery so I thought it must be the battery as someone mentioned before but it still just cranks after changng the battey. Would it be something to do with fuel delivery? Chacked the spark plugs after cranking the engine and they don't get wet at all. Other person suggested that it might be fuel lift pump that sits in the tank, might be clogged up or something. Can anyone help? I'm fed up with this car! All the problems started soon after I changed the oxygen sensor,,,, Can anyone suggest anything? Would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Hi everyone

It turned out to be a battery! After going thru so many things with a car it was such a stupid thing. Thanks everyone for all the replies.