harin

Something very bad happened - urgent help needed please

Hi all,

I was changing the glow plugs on my dads 2003 Seat Leon Cupra TDI and when i took number two plug out it was cross threaded but not too bad. So I tried putting the new one in and it went about half way in and got stuck. Trying to take it back out the hexagon collar used to drive it broke off and now it keeps on spinning!

The car starts and the hole isn't leaking at all so my question is: Is the car ok to drive?

I'm pretty sure the glow plug cannot fall into the engine and it was obviously stuck fairly tight. I picked the completely wrong time to do this as he needs the car tomorrow.

Any comments would be very appreciated!!!

Ok not good but it does sound like the car is useable. If you are sure that the electrode is still retained by the outer casing and it can not drop into the cylinder then you are ok for now. These glow plugs are well doccumented as a problem part to change due to disimillar metals corrosion between steel glow plug body and alloy cylinder head. The partially installed plug is going to have to be professionally removed asap, and the car should only be used as little as possible in this time. The danger is if the electrode falls into the cylinder it will smash the piston crown and bend the valves. Not wanting to depress you any more but I have seen this happen many times on the PD diesels.

56ad4e4c-2de9-5ad7.jpg56ad4e4c-2e27-15d3.jpg56ad4e4c-2e49-b1f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate - I decided to be sensible and not drive it. Looking like the head needs to come off :(

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Ok so just got what feels like the best news ever - the garage were just about to take the head off and one of the mechanics had one last go and he got it off!

What a legend!

Phew!!! I can afford to have a life this month!

:D

Think a crate of stella is in order for that chap!

Good Man! Obviously a bit like my good self with a bicycle :)

So even better, the guys didn't even charge my dad for the glow plug removal and the replacement glow plug!!! Just on this basis I'd highly recommend SEAT W J King Ltd in Sidcup!

Yep lady luck was definitely keeping an eye on me this week. Be nice if she looked at the rado a bit more!