Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Headlight switch or something else?

Hey peeps,

Okay, headlight switch one click gives sidelights (as expected), no change when I push the headlight switch again (i.e. no dipped beam, but the sidelights stay on).

Main beam (pulling back on the stalk) works fine, as do the front foglights...

I replaced both headlight bulbs (been meaning to anyway), checked all the fuses. I'm running a loom made by Bananman which runs a dedicated feed to the dipped beams, there's an inline fuse (checked), but still no joy...

I've heard that the headlight switches do go (get quite hot don't they!)... do they go like this, or do they normally fail completely? Given I don't have access to anything like a multimeter, is there a way to check if it is the switch that's fubar'd? Getting the switch out doesn't appear to be terribly straight forward either... :(

As always any assistance appreciated!

Just when I finally got my misfiring sorted... ho hum... :roll:

DtM.

myne sometimes does this mate, if you turn all the lights off then turn the switch on but bypassing the sidelights, i.e, do it quickly and with a bit more force than usual, or when youve got the sidelights on give the switch a good hard push and you should see the dipped beam trying to come on

Thanks for the replies so far!

joebrent - no amount of pushing/fast switching has any effect... not even a flicker... :(

Supercharged - nothing's been unplugged recently, I checked all the physical connections and all is where it should be... :?

Assuming I'm on the road to getting a replacement switch, has anyone changed it themselves... :?:

Cheers,

DtM.

Definately sounds like the switch. The newer ones do seem a bit more resiliant - time will tell if its any better!

When mine went, the lights were stuck on! :lol: