beastie4126

VR6 EIBACH 22mm front ARB's

This is more of a call to those that have fitted the above Arb to their Vr6. I Fitted both front and rear EIBACH arbs last year but didn't get to put much mileage on them due to the head gasket blowing and the work that followed. Now that the car is back on the road I am finding that under heavy breaking and heavy acceleration I sometimes hear a clunk. I would put this down to bushes etc but I know that they have been changed and would probably have been pulled for the mot two weeks ago. What I can see is that the front Arb is very close to the front arms in comparison to the original and perhaps is fouling, especially as there is a slight paint wear as well.

Has anyone had similar issues with this brand of Arb or did I buy a Friday afternoon special that is not bent 100% correctly??

Edited by beastie4126
I can't type with an I-phone

Did you check both wishbones to make sure the ARB gap is uniform on both sides? Sounds to me like the ARB is closer to one WB than the other. If it is then it's just a simple case of jacking it up and levering it over accordingly. It's a tight gap with the Eibach but it shouldn't and doesn't touch if installed correctly.

Did you check both wishbones to make sure the ARB gap is uniform on both sides? Sounds to me like the ARB is closer to one WB than the other. If it is then it's just a simple case of jacking it up and levering it over accordingly. It's a tight gap with the Eibach but it shouldn't and doesn't touch if installed correctly.

Cheers,

I do remember it being a touch on the tight side but it looks like they are even to me, although I have not exactly measured the gaps. I suppose one way to find out is to disconnect the drop links both ends and move the arb up and down to see if contact is made and which side then adjust accordingly.

No go on the spacing as theres not enough room to manouvre at all. Iv'e compaired the part numbers on the Eibach site and the Corrado one begins with AS not EW so maybe I have one for another model ??

That is certainly close! There's usually a good 5mm or more of clearance there with the correct ARB. MK3/Corrado are the same bar but I don't know what the part number is I'm afraid. I'm not sure what other car's bar could fit so well, but not quite enough clearance like that! MK2 and MK4 are completely different! Very odd.

I'm thinking that it is the right model etc as the part numbers tie up against the Corrado and G3 except for the prefix's.

They just had a bad day in the bending department when they made this one :(

Going to order a replacement one which will probably be a 25mm neuspeed as everyone else sells them in pairs and I have the rear EIBACH already.

My front Eibach arb is also scraping my track arms. Quite bad made for a well reputed company like Eibach, unless I have installed it correctly. Did not happen on my former Mk II Golf.

My letters read upside down. is it supposed to be like that?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Well, I never experienced anything on my former Mk. II Golf, but on the Corrado it's scraping and clonking. I will hopefully soon put on new arms, bushes etc, so we'll see. And I have nothing to say but praise of the anti roling itself. Just could be bent a little better to avoid scraping, It can certainly not pass inspection in Denmark. So, I am just thinking if there's anything that I can do to avoid that proble, or is it worn track arms/bushes?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Have you got the correct kit? I know eibach do one for the vr6 and one for the valvers/g60.

Not sure if you'd be able to fit the wrong one or not, had the vr6 kit fitted to my old vr but they sent the wrong kit out 1st.

VR6 and G60 ones are completely different so it's impossible to fit the wrong one. It's just the design of the car. The stock 20mm bar is close aswell, even more so the lower your ride height is!

Yes, my Eibach kit is bought for a Golf Mk. II and a G60 Corrado at Lindebjerg Racing, Copenhagen. I have used the kit on my former Mk. II Golf for 10 years, and never had any problems what so ever.

And yes, I think the PFF-85-210 is the correct one for a 1991 Corrado G60 with a Eibach 22mm front anti roll bar.

First I was sold a PFF-85-209 set which is also for a ´G60, but meant for 18mm arb.

Those two kits are only for G60 and valvers. It is listed so, that both kits excludes the VR6 model.

look here: http://www.candrenterprises.co.uk/shop/powerflex-bushes/car-corrado50

But who is to know.

I will report back when I finally get the PFF-85-210 kit (ordered).

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

As Kev said you cannot mix up the VR and valver kits as the drop link fittings etc are completley different and therefore will not fit.

One thing I did question and did check out myself was the use of aftermarket wishbones and the welded flange around the edge protruding further than original equipment. Unfortunately for me this wasn't the case but could be worth checking out.

I run the original track arms for now. New ones on the shelf ready when I get the correct bushes for the Eibach front arb. According to the list these 210, are NOT for vr6 but G60. Yes, I know the difference of the droplinks, and looked into this before ordering. But we'll see, I will take a photo of them when I get them and fit them. In my dealers ordering list, they were not listed. But since I found them on the page listed above this posts, I just refeferred to this number, when ordering at a local racing parts shop here.

Since many seems to be using this Eibach arb kit, I thought it would be worth mentioning what fits.

Another problem is the scraping. I never had that on the Golf, but only on the G60 Corrado. On the Golf I bought new alternative delivered track arms at a certain local dealer here, and also did nt have any scraping.

What could be interesting is to know if there is any way of adjusting the arms/arb's, etc to compensate for this scraping. Anyway I will fit the new arms together with full set of Powerflex bushes as I also did in the Golf. It made the driving on speedy coeners, mountainroads and fast highway so good ;) Hope to get the same from the Corrado.

Any sugestions on adjusting is most wellcome, as I think I cannot be the only one having this problem.

Fishwick: are you saying that an extreme lowering can be the cause of scraping the front arb against the track arms? (mine is lowered but not extreme as I don't like the driving change it makes).

I will report back on this too, as soon as I have the last parts, and can do the swap.

Thanks for the input so far. I hope to resolve this, as it's really quite annoying :)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Be sure that the ARB is i fact fitted the correct way up. Mine was origianlly fitted upside down and actually only spotted recently. It was fitted by AmD (the original AMD of Bicester) back in 2002, and there was never any indication that it might have been wrong. I never experienced any scraping or rubbing. It was simply a keen-eyed mechanic that noticed. The writing on mine is now upside down.

update: mine is also upside down with the text. They are old, since I bought them more than 10 years agi.

Still scrapes terribly.

Redfox.

Although the issue is likely to be the ARB itself, make sure the subframe bolts are torqued up correctly. Corrados are very sensitive to the subframe torques and you get a clonk through the floor if they are not right. Obviously changing the ARB means removing or loosening the subframe so it makes sense. The torque settings are higher than you would think!

Sorry, forgot all about this thread, so started another. I have installed all the new parts now, and it still scrapes terribly. all is new, and bolts are torqued to 160 Nm as per Bentley manual. Here's a few shots of the problem, which is the same in both sides:

Yours is scraping in the same place as mine did. i never went back to the supplier but seeing as we have two the same now i reckon we should.

I switched mine for a neuspeed 25mm one that fits perfectly.

Just twigged that yours is a valver fitment but none the less it's still misshapen.

Edited by beastie4126

Hello Beastie4126,

Thanks for telling. That may be the soloution if something does not come up. Just too bad, as I really like the stuff from Eibach, and I had it with the same spare part numbers on my former Golf 2. Never scraped.

Okay, now for an interesting update: I thought "something must be done, so I can at least make sure everything is correctly set up". Also after putting on new track arms, and all the other stuff, I had to do something to make sure it was perfect. I made some basic settings, and went to a pro to set up the front and have a 4 wheel measurement.

Okay, he said, it's really out of place everyhing. I knew that, as after new arms had been installed, the steering wheel flicked from side to side. Anyway, he did a long effort to set it up perfect with a lot of laser equipment, andturning on this and that, and printed out the result for me. It's now completely perfect up in the suspension department, trackarms, steering, caster, camper, toe in/out etc.

Result is now that I DON'T have any scraping at all. It's still looking as tight as it did before, but it doesn't scrape. I tried many times to reverse, turn and over and down from bumps in the same time, which every single time untill now has given me scraping loud noises, but no. SILENT :scratch: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I will fold my hands and look upwards and hope that it is solved. So my idea is this: one must make sure everything is set up perfectly, and that is hard to do on your own. At least I don't have such a huge specialized testbench to my availability ;)

I can also say that after the correct set up id done, I can now transfer more power to the tarmac, and accelerate faster, much to my amusement :dance:

I will report back later on if this still stands, or we'll have to do something else.

Cheers,

Trackfox.

Edited by Redfox