dingo

PAS pump replacement

Power steering pump is on it's way out, I've put new fluid through the system but the poor thing is still screeching like a banshee whenever turning the wheel.

I've done a bit of research, but it would be great if anyone could confirm it for me, it appears that there's 2 types of power steering pump on the valvers - one on the 1,8 and another on the 2,0. not to be mixed up otherwise the belts aren't going to line up!

The options are get a second hand pump from a broken rado.. might consider that if i could get a pump on the cheap.

Perhaps a safer bet, albeit more expensive, is to get a refurbished pump.

does anyone have any experience doing this or know of any good refurbishers?

thanks for any help

Could just be the pressure valve in the pump, does it make noise when turned by hand with the belt off?

Replacement wise just make sure the hub spacing is right, late ones, including some 1.8's have the longer hub spacing and so pulley sticks out further. You can remove the valve, filter and spring from the pump body after removing the pressure hose that goes to the rack, not the fill hose, it screws undone, then check the little gauze filter inside and feel for any scoring inside the drilling in the pump body. Of course if the bearing is shot you will have to get a new/recon one. Or risk 2nd hand.

Edited by davidwort

It's not just the drive belt that needs tightening? It screeches like a banshee even if it's just a bit slack.