Kev_VR6

Idle Control Valve (Dealer Rip Off)

Went to the dealers this morning to order a new one of these as mine has suddenly started causing the car to run terribly rough.

I was expecting it to be between £40 - £60 or there abouts but I was in for a nasty surprise...

£290 Inc. VAT !?!

I thought that was far from reasonable so I'd best see if Euro Car Parts sell the same part as it is made by Bosch (and had the Bosch part number stamped on).

Good job I did as they can supply the same part for much less...

£146.40 Inc. VAT

Still extortionate in my opinion, but much more wallet friendly than the Stealers

You can clean it out with some brake cleaner or something, normally sorts it out for a good few months. Although a new one would be a good long term solution I guess!

I thought that was far from reasonable so I'd best see if Euro Car Parts sell the same part as it is made by Bosch (and had the Bosch part number stamped on).

Good job I did as they can supply the same part for much less...

£146.40 Inc. VAT

Whats the Euro Car parts reference number?

I just gave him the Bosch part number, which is 0 280 140 512 and he was able to order me one from that.

Thank you.

Euro Car website shows £205.20.

??????

Edited by RW1

I guess this is different to a valver ISV ???

aren't the two the same?

you can test the isv first by applying a 12v source direct - check to see the valve opens fully without sticking. it will buzz and vibrate slightly whilst working. if you pulse the power you can see if it sticks anywhere. after cleaning it is vital to lube it well, else it will stick and will be just as bad as before the clean - metal on metal.

Not sure why it is priced that high on the website.

I've got the receipt here for £146.40...

Receipt quotes the list price of £232.90, unit price of £122.00, and total Inc. VAT of £146.40

Maybe he's given it me at trade discount as I've been in quite alot lately...

Euro often will give a price of 20-30% cheaper than on the web... always doing voucher offers too if you sign up.

For Bosch parts try Bosch dealers - I have a 'fuel injection' place near me that can supply virtually any Bosch part and always cheaper than ECP / GSF etc

Euro often will give a price of 20-30% cheaper than on the web... always doing voucher offers too if you sign up.

For Bosch parts try Bosch dealers - I have a 'fuel injection' place near me that can supply virtually any Bosch part and always cheaper than ECP / GSF etc

So what price for the ISV are they quoting you Steve?

quite easy - remove it from the engine, spray some carb cleaner into it shake around make sure you dont breathe the vapours! Pour out the grey crud. Repeat until fluid is clean. If you look down the side port of the isv you'll see a flap with a gap in one side - carefully open the flap, not from the gap it actually opens the other way from the 'closed' side. Easiset is with a cotton bud on top and using the friction to open it. Make sure it moves smoothly. Oil with some light oil. If you have a 12v supply apply this to the isv to check the flap opning & closing, making sure it doesnt stick. HTH

So what price for the ISV are they quoting you Steve?

If you go on the Euro Car Parts website and in the checkout area apply code PCP25 you get a 25% discount taking it down from £205 to about £154. Found that code just by googling Euro Car Parts.

But if you search the Bosch Part no 0280 140 512 you find this

http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/CarParts/tabid/144/ProductID/143/Default.aspx

which is only £52 exc VAT.

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

They do a MAF for £59 too. Now for someone like me who does 3k miles a year these look like they would be more than suitable replacements.

Got one of those £52 jobbies. Chinese manufactured. Not convinced of the quality. Hence chasing the cheapest Bosch made.