luke w

HELP! How to remove sump from KR 16v UPDATE still need help! (With pics)

I'm in the middle of removing the sump to get to the oil pick up to clean it out to hopefully sort out an oil pressure problem, but there are two bolts between the sump and gearbox that look impossible to get to. I've got the smallest 1/4" socket set but the gap is too small. The only way I can see getting to the bolts is to remove the plate that sits between the block and gearbox. Please tell me there is a way to get to the bolts without having to split the box from the engine?

Edited by luke w

Hello fella, yeah those two bolts are a nightmare! If you have one of those weird screwdrivers which can take cheapy sockets on the end then they work well, but as you have no doubt realised you can't get directly onto those two bolts, although you can get to them at an angle.

So yes, you can get to them but they're really fiddly. IIRC taking off the small plates between bellhousing and engine block don't really help, but you might find they give you some more access.

Post up how you get on too.

1/4 set with a wobble and or universal joint

its getting em back in u need to be carefull with , super easy to cross thread em ,

Thanks for the replies and tips. The little socket set I picked up today has a u joint so I'll give it a go with that. Why couldn't they have made the indents in the sump just a couple mm more!

Right have had another go with the u joint (don't have a wobble extension) and there is no way I can get to it even with that. I've taken some photos but I'm not sure how well they show the situation.

2317412b.jpg

a7253cfd.jpg

I'm almost certain the plate between the box and engine is in the way, thing is to remove it means splitting them! I don't know if the wrong plate is fitted and that's why I'm having the problem. It doesn't seem to follow the shape of the box at all, is that normal?

1ab99bc4.jpg

Hey mate, sorry for the delay.

Yeah I completely feel your pain and know the bolts your struggling with. The little plate there is literally just a mud shield to stop the flywheel getting covered in crap (and therefore prob keeps the starter motor clean too!) If you're careful you could take it off, but looking at how dirty it is under there i'd recommend cleaning it all up first. That may help you get onto the 10mm bolt heads too.

You should be able to get the plate off in situ but not 100% on that one.

i had to change my sump gasket, plate comes off without splitting engine and box, this makes it much easier to get at the bolts, as said before, be very careful, i managed to cross thread one of the bolts :@