robrado974

coil question

Hi all i have a 92 vr and i think the coil has gone , took off the connection to the dizzy and theres no spark . Its been playing up for a while , have cleaned the leads ,replaced plugs and dizzy seems ok . Does coil come in two parts ? tps said it does , im not doubting them but just wanted to check . many thanks rob

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

just done another search could be hall sender problem ?

not very clued up on copy n paste from other threads and did not want to start another . But read danny boys reply on testing the hall sender . Electrics stump me ! how do i put an led on a hall sender to test it ?

It has two parts. Coil and transistor amplifier switch unit. Held together by the two bolts.

These are generally reliable.

What isn't is the hall sender in the dissy due to the transmitted engine heat.

It isn't a spare. The one listed on VW ETKA is for the 16v engine. Not a spare for the VR6. New dissy???

I said to er in doors ''bet who comes up with the answer will be rw1 ''. The electrics man ! lol thanks mate .

I can give you the coil test and some checks of the Amplifier connection tomorrow, but given your "Electrics has me stumped", I left it. Shout if you need. The rest needs a pin by pin check of the Engine ECU connections and some other tests.

VCDS Check:

No parts or looms or HT leads disassembled at this point.

Check the Engine ECU fault memory has no faults stored (most likely is VAG code: 01242)

Ignition coil & Coil Amplifier can be assumed to be OK. But to be certain, do the coil tests below.

Coil Transformer Testing:

- Disconnect the connector (3 wire plug).

- Disconnect the coil to Dizzy HT lead.

Measure across terminals 1 & 15. These are the two metal points between the 3 wire connector and the HT connection. Should read 0.5 to 0.7ohms.

If the reading is not obtained or out of specification above, remove the coil pack unit and split it by undoing the two bolts. Remove the ignition amplifier part. Now measure the coil again across the terminal 1 & 15 for 0.5 to 0.7 ohms.

If not the above reading, new coil transformer part is required.

Re-assemble the coil pack with the two bolts/nuts. (So as to conduct the Ignition Amplifier test below.)

Ignition Amplifier Testing:

Across the Coil's loom connector with the three wires, connect a voltmeter to pins 1 & 3 (outer pins) in the connector. Switch on the ignition. Across pins 1 & 3 should read approximate battery volts, ie. it is around 12 volts.

Switch off the ignition.

Connect a 12 volt capable LED (LED + Resistor - suggest 560 or 680 ohm value resistor) across the pins 2 & 3 of the coil 3-wire connector .

Switch on the ignition again and operate the starter while observing the LED. The LED has to flicker. If not the output of the Engine ECU has failed. New Engine ECU required.

Switch off the ignition.

Now re-connect the coil pack 3-wire plug to the coil pack and the HT lead from the Dizzy. So the car is back to normal running condition.

(During the next tests, do not touch the terminal pins 1 & 15 as well as the test LED/Resistor simultaneously with your fingers etc. )

Now connect the LED & resistor to pins 1 & 15 on the coil transformer itself which are between the 3-wire connector and the HT lead connection. Switch on the ignition. The LED must light for 1 to 2 seconds and then extinguish.

With ignition still on, operate the starter. The LED/resistor must flicker. If not, renew the coil packs ignition amplifier part.

C.

Well the mechanic i use will be testing the coil on tuesday , following rw1's instructions . Did replace dizzy and rotor arm thinking it could be the problem , but no!. Rang tps and the new one is £130.00 +the vat. So hopefully she will be runnin again soon , i miss driving her .

Spoke to the mechanic today and he cant make it till thursday now!!. He did mention that it could be the distributor. I phoned tps to get a price and they are obsolete. If it is the distributor my only hope is a second hand one ? otherwise do i have to change all the ignition stuff to a coil pack ?. Is that even possible ? what happends to the hole where the dizzy would have been .thanks rob

Edited by robrado974