V-Dubstar

Engine cutting out while hard braking

Ok this has happened to me twice now and was wondering if anyone knows what it could be....

On both occasions, I've been braking hard (not over excessively), but for instance the last time I was coming off the motorway into a services, and noticed a speed bump so braked a little harder than normal to a 5ish mph movement, and the engine cut out. The 1st time was a similar story.

The motor started straight back up with the key after, but obv I had to turn ignition off 1st.

Is this an issue anyone else has come across? Sometimes when I'm braking at a roundabout for instance the rev's fluctuate below idle speed....I'm not sure if this would be linked or not?

Have you disconnected the battery recently or done an adjustment to the throttle stop?

Battery was disconnected say 2 months ago, and has only been driven a couple of times since then. I've no idea how to adjust the throttle stop so it shouldn't be that, lol...

Forget the throttle stop. Will deal with that if this doesn't work.

It may have lost Engine ECU Basic Settings.

You need VCDS and do the ECU reset procedure in full. See Wiki for detail.

Its like this..........

ie Disconnect the battery for a few seconds using the earth connection.

Reconnect and drive the engine until it done over 10 mins, don't let it sit and idle, drive off straight away, stopping at lights doesn't matter. Just drive normally with one good constant full throttle acceleration from low down up the rpm range, roughly taking 4 seconds.

After about 30 mins. Stop and leave the engine idling. Use VCDS and put the Engine ECU into Basic Setting for the Group number 000 or 001 depending on your ECU part number in the Wiki. Blip the throttle upto 3,000 rpm for a second and leave idlling for another 2 minutes plus a few seconds. Don't touch the throttle during this 2 minutes + and make sure electical loads like interior fans, lights etc are off. The rad fan doesn't matter but when exiting Basic Settings, do so when the rad fan isn't running.

Exit Basic Settings. All set up.

Enjoy the drive.