fendervg

Noise question

The C has developed a slight speed dependent whine - not too loud but definitely noticeable at higher speeds. Things that were changed recently were rear wheel bearings, new pads and discs all round and gearbox oil - any ideas if these could be the cause ? The bearings are tight and the gearbox was filled with 2L of MT-90.

does it sound like wheel bearing noise? goes away when turning left or right? Genuine bearings done up properly, not too tight? Bearings pressed in properly or with a hammer?

I have a press - so the bearings were put in properly - doesn't go when turning - and you can't hear it at low speed. They are VAG bearings - wouldn't use any other ones.

bearing noise typically occurs between 40 and 60 mph in my experience.

tyre noise possibly?

IOk - I'll see if I need to back them off a bit - when I fitted them I did the usual checks to see if I could move the washer with a screw driver etc.

I'd put that noise down to a bearing being over tightened and when it heats up at speed, its tightens slightly more.

IOk - I'll see if I need to back them off a bit - when I fitted them I did the usual checks to see if I could move the washer with a screw driver etc.

thats the way I do it, but you need to make sure the bearing hasn't undone itself a bit either. I would say that they do need checking again after running them for a few miles.

Sorted this - it turned out to be one of the rear tyres - changing all four to new resulted in a lovely smooth sound accompanied by six pot growl again.