ben_wooduk

Another VR6 Starting Issue?

My engine runs perfect, really happy with it and it never fails to start, not once!

But sometimes it can take 4 or 5 seconds or cranking to get started. I first suspected the battery so have changed it for a brand new unit but no change. Could it be time for new injectors or a freshen up somewhere else? Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help very much appreciated :thumbleft:

This *can* point to a dodgy crank sensor, but I wouldn't go rushing out to replace this until you're sure it's faulty, it's rather expensive ...

This *can* point to a dodgy crank sensor, but I wouldn't go rushing out to replace this until you're sure it's faulty, it's rather expensive ...

Cheers mate, I've never heard of one but i'll do a bit of searching about crank sensors on here.:thumbleft:

it's rather expensive ...

How many threads end with this :pale:

Your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine were last week - on fact over the past few weeks. Changed the battery et al but the simple solution turned out to be the plug from the immobiliser coil around the ignition barrel, into the immobiliser box under the dash ( under the headlight switch). Unplug, spray with wd40 (or in my case electrical cleaner fluid) and reinsert. Now starts instantly.

Your symptoms sound exactly the same as mine were last week - on fact over the past few weeks. Changed the battery et al but the simple solution turned out to be the plug from the immobiliser coil around the ignition barrel, into the immobiliser box under the dash ( under the headlight switch). Unplug, spray with wd40 (or in my case electrical cleaner fluid) and reinsert. Now starts instantly.

I shall be giving this a try with my fingers crossed (mainly cause its a free quick fix). :)

Cheers mate, i'll give it a shot.

1993 Black VW Corrado 2.9 VR6 - Current True??

Key Immobilser was only introduced in Oct'94. Chassis SK000719 onwards.

1993 Black VW Corrado 2.9 VR6 - Current True??

Key Immobilser was only introduced in Oct'94. Chassis SK000719 onwards.

Balls!!

Its actually starting on the button 99.9% of the time today, but then again i have been starting the car with the accelerator pedal pressed fully!

Edited by ben_wooduk

Ah, that points to the ISV not opening or flooding ....... Will it run at idle after its just started or do you need to use the throttle?

Got VCDS??

Edited by RW1

Ah, that points to the ISV not opening or flooding ....... Will it run at idle after its just started or do you need to use the throttle?

Got VCDS??

No its runs faultless when its started, no issuesvat all, idles very smooth.

Forgive my ignorance, whats VCDS?

No its runs faultless when its started, no issuesvat all, idles very smooth.

Once started, if you stop the engine again will it restart OK or does it crank?

Once started, if you stop the engine again will it restart OK or does it crank?

Takes a while to crank again when hot, unless i floor the accelerator pedal. I have only just brought it, could it be as simple as spark plugs, injectors etc.

I've had cars that fail to start completely before but this is different. It never ever fails to start, just doesn't sound great cranking an engine over for about 4 seconds.

Not sorted yet. My garage are pretty sure its the injectors so thats the next step, either cleaned or replaced. You having a similar issue?