Sam.l

Head unit cutout at raised volume!

Not too up on car audio, and most of the time it is fine unless I crank it the whole head unit will just turn off and then turn back on again. Is it an earth issue? It's an Alpine cd981rb if that helps.

Thanks.

Sounds like it is trying to draw too much current. What speakers are you running? Any subs or amps? Are you just using the battery supply or powercaps etc?

When I got the car the guy before me had a sub wired in, but had taken it out and left the wiring in there. At the mo all that's running off it is a pair of 6*9's, and some jvc mids in the doors and standard dash tweeters. Nothing major. Just using the battery supply. Excuse the ignorance but what are powercaps? Do you think it's a setting on the head unit itself? Or would I have to remove the sub and sub earth wiring from behind it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks boost monkey.

when i've had that problem before i found one of the wires on back on a door speaker wasn't fixed properly and think it was touching something else once the vibrations built up

Mine used to do this, unfortunately turned out the head unit was knackered. I would take the head unit out, unplug the speakers at the back of the unit and see if it still happens then maybe try the head unit in a different car if it does it with the speakers unplugged.

Mine also does this, I assume because it's trying to draw too much power, or there's a bad connection somewhere.

I found an exposed wire in the speaker cabling over the weekend, so maybe that will sort it out. I'll report back after the drive home later!

powercaps are big capacitors which store up current for the ICE system to use. I'm not really good with electronics, but I think that's how they work. It just takes the load off the battery a bit IIRC.

Poll250 let me know if that was the case! Thought it may be a setting on the head unit for an amp input which could possibly explain drawing more current (?) though not sure, will check connections in the doors and rear shelf to see if that makes any difference on the weekend. Although it has done it for as long as I've had the car? And it has never really been overly bass'y the time I've had it. Looked through the manual but see any setting for an amp.mmmmm.