rubberdubber

New to this VR6 lark, need a little advice!

Hi all

After having a 1.8 16v kr for a few years, ive gona and bought myself a vr6! Spotted it cheap in auto trader, its in tvr pearlesant paint which is hideous and will be re-sprayed when funds allow but it was a good price so cant complain too much.

Anyhow got a few issues which i could do with abit of advice on, 1stly the plug for the additional water pump? (see pic) is missing, i assume it has been disconnected for some reason? i assume this is bad and needs to be re-connected? it dosent overheat atall, use or pressurise the coolant but assume it must be there for a reason!

6bc8213e.jpg

Its also running abit rough, mainly just at low revs, really poppy on over-run and dosent rev smoothly, any ideas? its got the following nasty after-market accesories fitted, possibly the cause?

0fb7b302.jpg

130e9ed0.jpg

Also noticed whilst poking around under the bonnet that theres a spare outlet on the fuel rail, looks to be blank inside but thought id better make sure there shouldnt be something on it

6821edf1.jpg

Many thanks in advance, im new to the vr6 world so any help from you experts would be mucho appreciated

1st pic,the aux water pump,they run when the engine is switched off,they are common to fail but do bugger all imop....leave it be.

2nd pic ,the filter looks well dirty,clean it or replace it,also check the wiring to the lambda sensor,its close to the rear engine mount,often corrode and cause over fueling issues...

3rd pic shows the idle valve air resivour with a filter attached? possible idle valve bypassed? you need to look into that further,possible overfuelling and poor running issues...

4th pic is the fuel pressure test kit connection,this is normal.

that 3rd pic is of an ekotek valve, probably one of the most successful 'go quicker gismo' scams ever - remove it asap, as the reasoning is horse****!

from memory of their spiel, anything over 2ltr will require two of them to be fitted, having only one fitted to a 2.9 will cause the valve to be sucked open permenantly - allowing unmetered air into the engine cycle all the time - hence major idle issue!

yeh location doesn't make sense to me, but defo an ecotek!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49017[/ATTACH]

my mistake,looked liked a piper cross....im backing away lol

and your right....utter crap!!!

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

saying that,its wade by pipercross....still rubbish lol

that's the first and last time i'll ever get one over you james :lol:

thanks for the replys chaps! Good news on the unecessary water pump and the fuel rail, also thanks for the tips on the running issues. Good few things to check!!

Now for this ecotek debate, what the feck is an ecotek?? never heard of it, whats it supposed to do! Any ideas how i can remove it and put it back to how its supposed to be? anyone got a breather pipe picture or diagram?

cheers people, really liking this forum! Will get some pics up tomorrow though a little embarissed as the paint and wheels are hideous. 1st things to go!

do a google search for it, but don't believe the hype! just remove it and replace the pipe.