Critical_Mass

KW V1 leaking?

Hi all,

Got a possible issue. Noticed a fluid mark on the floor right under the drivers rear tyre. Had a quick look round with a torch and cant feel or see fluid on or around the caliper, or even on the coilover. But there's a grease mark on the outside of my tyre??? doesnt smell like brake fluid, it has v little or no smell actually and is def a greasey fluid. I thought maybe the coilover was leaking, but as said, when ive got under the car with a torch i cant see any fluid. HOW would suspension fluid get on the outside of hte tyre only (outer tyre wall).

Thinking that corner of the car looked slightly lower then the other rear, i turned the car round and still seems to sit slightly lower. Do leaking coilovers sit lower then normal? I bounced that corner too and its creaking, again is creaking a sign of a knackered coilover?

The coilovers are only about 3 years old, but i know roads in Britain can really batter the suspension? Can the suspension still be knackered even if its not leaking, im not sure why its creaking?

Going to have a look tomorrow.

Any advice from anyone?

IF it turns out the coilover is shot, can they be bought seperately? Do i have to replace in pairs?

Edited by Critical_Mass

i'll bear that in mind cheers toohot. im hoping the fluid has come from elsewhere as it all looked dry when i looked today. Going to get wheel off tomorrow to see whats what. Fingers crossed its not leaking and its random fluid.

Right had the wheel off to take a look and everything looks fine. Caliper doesnt appear to be leaking nor does the coilover. Realised last night, stupidly, that id put £50 in the car yesterday. This may explain why that side of the car looks slightly lower, but didnt think it would make that much different to the ride height.

As for the creaking, can the axle bushes creak?

Ok still having issues with this -

Also over a bump like a speed bump or larger bumps there's quite a knock from the rear. It also do not appear to be leaking. But im told shocks dont have to leak to be knackered. The coilovers are less than 3 years old by the way.

Ive tried pushing down on the rear corner and it doesnt look like its bouncing... to me anyway.

Anyone put my mind at rest, give me any checks to take a look at to confirm if the shocks ok or not.

If i DO need a new rear shock anyone any idea how much a new KW v1 coilover will be or how much to get it rebuilt and by whom?

I've known the piston to be loose and still seal correctly. The only way you'll know for certain in to get them off and have a look. Did you buy them from new? Do you not get a guarantee with them?

Sent from my iPhone you lemon!

Grease on the outside of your tyre and on the floor says to me: Wheel bearings. Is the domed cap on tightly and the stub axle side seal in place? Wheel bearing grease gets runny as it heats up, so some might have dripped out after you parked up. The oil in dampers certainly isn't thick and greasey. It's usually a very light mineral oil like ATF, or some kind of synthetic silicone fluid.

If your damper was leaking you'd know about it. There would be wet dusty patches around the piston seal and fluid leaking down the damper body in severe cases.

Clunks from the rear on Corrados are usually always exhaust or bush related. And in some cases, the top mounts weren't reassembled correctly but the dampers themselves rarely clunk.

I'm not sure you can rebuild a V1. You can V3s though and the cost is around £80+VAT per unit.

Cheers for replies guys as this is the last thing i need at the mo.

Sorry i forgot to say that i dont think it is fluid from the shock. Firstly it was quite thin grease, more brake fluid consistancy. I looked at the tread and inside wall of the tyre and t here wasnt ANY fluid, just on the outside. Nor was there any on the shock itself. So im thinking the shock is ok.

But i have noticed a banging/knocking noise over large bumps but i dont know if thats just the car dropping on hard suspension and possibly just the top mounts. The side in question is also 10-20mm lower than the other side. Could this just be how the shock has settled with it having the weight of the fuel and tank further over to that side?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

oh and kev the domed cap is on ok and everythign done up correctly.

its not come from the fuel filler area in any way has it?

you say you noticed it after filling up, and its that side the filler is.

Fortunately not and there's not being any fluid since i noticed that. It could have just been on the tyre from somewhere completely unrelated. But when i noticed it i was parked up, it wasnt all round the tyre like id driven through something, it looked like it had dripped onto the tyre wall that was in contact with the floor. Nowhere above it. But then i noticed the shock was slightly lower on that side - even on flat surface.

I may have been mislead by the fluid on the floor and the slightly lower drop on that side could be due to driver and fuel over time.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Sounds like the grease on the tyre is a red herring then. I reckon it's just the exhaust knocking on the axle. Have any of the exhaust rubbers collapsed? Still on the stock exhaust? It weighs about the same as Jupiter and is hard on mountings....which don't take long to sag and lower the exhaust closer to the axle.

Your fluid on the floor could be the rear calliper leaking, if the callipers are oringinal then where the handbrake mechanism that goes into the calliper could be slightly weeping past the seals, the best thing to do is to keep an eye on it, as it might get steadily worse which will also made it easier to find the cause. It drips directly onto the floor and does not leave much of a fluid trace on the actual calliper.