Tristan H

16v running temp?

Hi all , I was test driving a '95 16v the weekend , and for the duration and while left ticking over the water temp stayed at 70degrees . The engine is all standard , and the fan wasn't running . Surely this is a bit low?

IIRC the thermostat should open at 87 deg C, so it could be just a case of the thermostat nor closing.

Mine has a OEM ABF thermostat at the moment which opens at 82 deg C, but I am finding it takes a long time to reach that.

yea when mine was on the road used to run pretty low unless u really gave it some or had jus been drivin quite a while and even then werent that hot

I don't think they get that hot until they are driven hard as mentioned. That has been my experience with the 2 in our family.

Well, 1 and a half ^_^

It's not good if the engine is not reaching normal temperature. With an ABF thermostat (genuine VW ones anyway) the engine will run cooler than with a thermostat for a 9A. So I would recommend getting one for a 9A, which should be the engine code for your engine. The ABF was fitted to Mk3 Golfs.