Alex_G60_Fanatic

G60 Turbo question

been searching around and seen many g60 pg engines being used with turbo's with great success.

However, I've never seen anyone keep the G60 attached AS WELL as popping a turbo on. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this?

Was thinking about it and I thought as long as the engine didn't rev to high I don't see there being a problem... I imagine the boost pipes would be a bit of a squeeze to get in but I can think of a few routes they could take with a little thought... and the oil feed to the turbo may also be a problem unless they could share the OEM oil feed to the charger???

I thought the low down performance of the charger would compliment a turbo quite nicely. Or am I mad? Thoughts?

Yeah I think Jeroen Dik (JD Racing) has been playing with G60s + turbos for a number of years now.

His method pushes the turbo output into the G60, which then compresses the already compressed air even more. He runs seperate ECUs too, so basically the G60's original management has the donor car's turbo ECU running parallel with it.

that makes sense... Although I was thinking of going the other way, keeping the OEM air box and taking the compressed air from the charger (via the intercooler) to the turbo... The only thing is then getting the air to the throttle body but I thought that way I could use just the ECU for the turbo and ditch the one i have...

Any idea on expected performance?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

found this artical that mentions a g60 + turbo... it mentions 3 ECU's! :bonk:

might be a little tricky! :lol: http://jdengine.home.xs4all.nl/html/publicaties/pvw_feb09_jd/PVW0209JDbigschool.pdf

That wouldn't work mate. The exhaust driven side of the turbo would fight against the compressor side and you may get shaft and / or blade bendage or snappage.

Superchargers being more linear in nature are perfect for accepting boost :D

3 ECUs!! Blimey. That's Mr Dik for you, the guy is a VW legend!

3 ECUs!! Blimey. That's Mr Dik for you, the guy is a VW legend!

Too right! I'm now swimming in Forced induction heaven :luvlove:

The exhaust driven side of the turbo would fight against the compressor side and you may get shaft and / or blade bendage or snappage.!

ahh wont do that then! :bonk: still... this intrigues me...

Edit: sorry for being ignorant but how do twin turbo's work then? Like a staged Twin turbo... not a parallel one obviously

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

I thought there was a guy in Slovakia or somewhere in Baltic region on here that created one also Alex, I'll see if I can find the link as I commented on his thread maybe last year or so.

Edit: sorry for being ignorant but how do twin turbo's work then? Like a staged Twin turbo... not a parallel one obviously

God knows, I only know the basics!

Parallel turbos I understand but feeding one into the other I can't see working without some pretty exotic materials and spot-on turbo sizing etc. I just can't see a delicate ally compressor wheel handling 3 bar of boost (as that wiki page implied) for long, but I'm sure it's possible. I've only ever seen parallel turbos on a road car as they're probably a lot more reliable!

one of the best routes i have seen for a G60 engine is the BBM twin screw charger... the complete kit is about £2K and can be bolted straight on...

I know its not the route you were aiming for but the performance from this method is a lot more reliable than a charger turbo combo

For the sort of money its going to set you back youd be better off looking at newer forced induction engines ready made with more ponies.

I think AW Tracksport have built (or at least attempted) an true G60 + turbo. I'm not sure I'd fancy filling a delicate G Ladder with the output of a turbo, we all know they are prone to detonation.

I thought this set up would give the best of both worlds... but It seems I didn't fully appreciate the engineering involved which (TBH) is well beyond my experience level :(

It was just an idle thought, I may well come back to it one day. But I think anything I do with my particular Corrado is going to be some how unique.

The bbm twin screw I've seen many times for instance and although it proven to give great results I could go and buy a corrado with one of them in already for less than £3500 - £4000. And it would probably be in better condition than mine! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice though Guys... It's certainly given me something to think about :scratch:

If a turbo is something that tickles you I can highly recommend it. I really thought I'd miss the low down power of a supercharger but I've just adjusted my driving do keep the revs slightly higher to avoid lag.

TBH the only thing I miss about a G60 is the sound ;)