born2misbehave

ABS Pump - Please help me I'm clueless!

So my Corrado VR6 (1994) failed her first MOT this week since I got her in April. A few things (brake caliper, hoses etc) are done by my husband and sorted. ABS light however stays on whilst driving.

Volkspeed diagnosed the fault as front right sensor so Ben has fitted a new one and checked the others at the same time and fitted a new left rear one as well as they were both dropping to bits. This changed the light from staying on all the time to flashing up when started then going off but then the light comes back on when I get to 15mph and stays on.

Been down to Volkspeed today and had her plugged in to the diagnostic iPad type thing and the fault for the sensor has disappeared but the fault is now showing up as a static fault with the ABS pump.

I have a part number for the pump that's on it and have been told that a new one is like £2000! I only paid £3000 for the car and am heartbroken that I will have to take her off the road and buy something cheap to get me to work and back. Have found two used parts on eBay that are possibilities but I am worried that they won't work or won't be the right part, as they both state the exact same part number as mine (358 614 217) but they both look different to each other?!

Ben took the connectors out of the pump earlier and cleaned them and put it back together and the light did as it was supposed to do and flashed on and then stayed off even when driving at speed for the first time since all this started and was convinced it was fixed! Then the next journey ten minutes later the light was back on again and no amount of cleaning or faffing is getting it to go off again.

Can anyone help me with any kind of advice whatsoever?!

Thanking you in advance! Gemma xx

Hello, few days ago I've got problems with abs. I changed rear left abs sensor, because it was cut somehow. But the light was still on. Then I checked a wire, which goes from abs block to "ground" it was all rusty. I cleaned it and problem gone. But still, you maybe have a problem with a abs pump. Just try to find spare part.

If it really is the ABS pump, if you keep your eyes open for a good condition second hand one you could get it swapped for that. Might not resolve the issue but at £50 or whatever a used one costs (plus fitting) a hell of a lot cheaper than £2k...

I had a reconditioned unit recently because a valve in mine had seized. I think I paid about £600 for the recondition. My garage in Glasgow did the diagnosis then sent the unit away. If you want I can ask where they sent it and get you the details. I know your are caught between cheap and maybe a lot of hassle, or more expensive, being sure it'll work, but asking if you paid over the odds.

You probably just need to clean the filters out, these are behind the little hex bits screwed into the abs manifold block. They can be difficult to get out though...