Sign in to follow this  
duffer

Tyres on 17inch wheels

I've currently got 205/40/17 tyres on my wheels. My dilema is;

A. whether to go for 45's to give a slightly smoother ride, but don't know whether its gunna make it look rubbish.

B. can you fit 215's on without them rubbing on the arches cus it's been lowered.

Forking out for some good tyres and dont want to be pissed off if i get the wrong ones. cheers.

You cant go higher profile on a 17 the gearing and speedo will be out and they will be a poor fit in the arches

Of course if you're not convinced I have a set of 225/45 R17 tyres for sale! :mrgreen:

Thankyou, I think the car is really coming together can't wait for the better weather and the show season. :D

Again by going 215 it effects aspect ratio. The standard 15" fitment is 205/50 so when going up a wheel size you drop the aspect ratio. Hence 40s on a 17 rim but even this size gives a greater overall diametre and rolling radius. Going to a 215/40 increases the tyre wall 4mm and further increases rolling radius and will affect gearing and speedo readings. It should however fit if the car is not too low. I have had 215/40R16 on the C without problem so the tyre width in itself is OK if the offset and ride height are fine.