Bs6VR6

renewing suspension. help?

Hey guys,

Just registered to the forum, looks to be a wealth of knowledge, was wondering if i could use some of it?

Just aquired a VR6 after three mk2 golfs and am loving th car. only issue is I've bought a bit of a lemon, exitement, ignorance and impatience being a dangerous mixture. After a painful episode with the cooling system, i'm now going to try to begin restoring the ar toward its former glory.

The plan of attack has been somewhat forced by a new and increasingly worrying grinding/clunking noise coming from the front of the car when coasting. so. After a call to my local VW emporium i now have the following parts to go toward the rebuild.

New lowerballjoints

droplnks

ARB bushes

topmounts

wishbones with bushes

I'm looking to buy a subframe get it shotblasted and seamwelded then painted to build up the new front end as best i can off the car. The same with the rear beam. Then drop the old lot off the car. this will allow me(or the garage) to fully repair the underseal, and try to mend a bit of damage around the jacking points.

Can you see any major problems with this plan?

Other than the rear beam and bushes is there any other parts i should do at the same time?

Oh also i think i read somewhere you can use R32 bushes to stiffen the rear beam slightly, is this true?

Sorry for the long post, hope you can help.

Regards,

Max,

I think it's a case of replace as much as needs replacing / you can afford while you are there.

I have had some of this done and it included R32 bushes, track rod ends (as they were jiggered and no adjustment possible). Caon I spot the difference? Honestly, other than it felt tighter afterwards, I can't really say what difference the R32 bushes made because it was all quite old a tired before.

There is a long thread about suspension http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?23595-The-Suspension-Discussion-Thread which is worth a read if you know what you are doing.

Welcome to the forum - lots of good advice lurking both in the search function or in the heads of the "power users" on here.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

BTW - I also bought a lemon but loved the VR6 vibe, so got rid and bought a better one! Have still spent loads on cash on it but mainly due to being mechanically incompetent and getting garages to do everything.

Cheers mate,

I'm now looking at replacing the lot, front and back. Went to my local scrappy at the weekend, got a front subframe, and rear beam plus 288 mk4 golf front calipers and carriers. blokes a legend, he's going to get the whole lot shotblasted and re-painted with some static applied paint, used on plant machinery, meant to be well tough. 150quid for the bits and the same again for the shotblasting and painting, bargain i thought.

Looks like I've got the wrong end of the stick then, r32 bushes are for the front, not rear axel. bugger. any upgraded rear bushes i can use without going polly, want to keep the rear steer as vw intended??

Going back a bit, do you think the plan of building up a new front end off the car is possible, all i need now is some front hubs and i think i've got the lot??

Thanks again for the reply mate,

Regards,

P.s mate I've thought about selling mine and buying a new one but i've allready thrown to much cash into it, i'd loose a fortune. In for the long haul now, at least it'll be another one saved, lol.

Max,

Edited by Bs6VR6