24V Renshaw

288 calipers on 312.....

Yep, 288 calipers and 312 carriers are fine. You need to space the carriers 6mm inboard to get the offset right though. Daves16v on here used to make some nice 6mm stainless spacers, which are nicer than stacking mildsteel washers that rust.

Yep, 288 calipers and 312 carriers are fine. You need to space the carriers 6mm inboard to get the offset right though. Daves16v on here used to make some nice 6mm stainless spacers, which are nicer than stacking mildsteel washers that rust.

Steel washers as spacers on brakes!!! :cowboy:

I think the 288s with the MK4 carriers is good plan, a little more clearance courtesy of being 6mm further in board and easy to swap to 312 i the fancy takes by changing only discs and carriers as mounting bolts and spacers will be the same for both. I know you will know this already but don't forget you'll need the 288 MK4 discs too. Did you keep the discs and carriers when you upgraded the MK4?

I have fitted Mk4 calipers and 312 carriers to my last corrado before with the 6mm stainless washers I made. In fact I think I still have some somewhere spare. It was just the calipers I have bought this time are 288mm ones but I have no idea what car they are from. So it looks like I can fit any 288mm calipers to 312 carriers. Oh and Gareth surely I would want 312mm discs?

Ha ha of course just highlighting the quick swap option to allow 15s if necessary (apologies for skim reading thought you'd got carriers and callipers complete from a MK4)

Just to let you know, genuine VAG Mk4 288mm discs won't work on a Corrado even if the carriers are spaced out by 6mm, as the inner face of the disc catches the lower carrier mounting lug on the hub.

I imagine that with 312mm discs the inner face just misses the lower carrier lug so it isn't a problem. That isn't to say that aftermarket 288mm Mk4 discs won't fit as I've not tried them, but I can categorically say that genuine VAG ones don't fit!

The MK4 288s must have the same disc offset as the 312s then? But for the benefit of other folks new to the world of 288/312 upgrades, Golf Highline 288s *DO* fit Corrado hubs with no fouling issues.

Yes, the offset is the same, but because the 288mm discs are smaller in diameter it means that the inside face of the braking surface actually touches the carrier mounting lug. I imagine that the problem doesn't exist on the 312mm discs because of the larger diameter, but I'd be interested in seeing exactly how close they are.

But yes, as you say, the late Mk3 Golf GTi and VR6 288mm discs fit fine and the carriers don't require any spacing at all.