Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Strange rattle when I turn right

The car has developed a strange 'metallic' kind of rattle. It rattles very quietly in normal driving, but when I turn right it gets louder and a bit clanky. Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side. Had a look, but can't see anything loose :? It's starting to bug me! What could it be? Something touching the wheel when it's turned? If I get time I'll take the wheel off tonight.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wouldn't have said CV joint myself....more of a clicky noise than a clanky one!

Also, CV joints aren't the most expensive part to replace and although pretty straight forward to do, they are quite time consuming (especially as last time I had to do 2! :mad: )

Yeah, CV joints tend to creak when they're going, not a metallic rattle.

Or they have on the cars I've had before.

I have a metallic rattle at the mo - coming from the front-left and its all the time - and seems to be something loose knocking, since it happens with bumps.

Another thing to get done when it goes into VW in a week or two.

Bloody hell.. you are actually getting the car into VW!! Did you just get a small lottery win? :)

Bloody hell.. you are actually getting the car into VW!! Did you just get a small lottery win? :)

Small??

The sound certainly isn't a creaking sound. Under normal driving it's a very light metallic sound, kind of like someone jangling keys. Then when I turn a corner (it's actually when I'm turning left :oops: ) it becomes louder and more of a clanky knocking - still not very loud though. Sounds a bit like an empty can of drink tied under the car. Definately coming from front left. Had the wheel off and couldn't find anything- I need a set of ramps!

mine does similar. i get squeaks from bushes n the odd rattle when over rough ground. i think its basically that the weakest part is now found. i have coilovers n new top mounts n 17" wheels. i think the bushes n ball joints need replacing on mine which is probly the same for you. rattly clanks are usually bushings of some sort ive found

The clanking turned out to be wheel barings- got really bad :? Had it sorted- £140 :shock: - mostly labour. This didn't sort the other rattle though which must be something else :roll: .

Still got a light, metallic jangling sound coming from the front passenger side. I can only hear it when I have the passenger window open, and it's driving me nuts! Like yours, Andi, it happens when I go over bumps :mad:

look at the counter weight on the drive shaft. if this is loose it could make this noise. Mine Did!!!!!!! The funny thing is sometimes it made the noise and then i would not hear a peep from it for days.

Cheers guys,

never got to the bottom of it and have since sold the car for a VR6, which, for different reasons is also driving me nuts! :mad:

A matalic rattling noise (like keys) which would be more pronounced when going over bumps is almost definately the front suspension top mount/s. About £30 a pair and simple to change although you will need to get the alignment done afterwards as you need to take the struts off to do the job.

dont mean to be silly but have u checked around the back of the wheel might just be somthing simple like a paper bag with rubbish in it attached to something on the bottom of ya car. U NEVER KNO