iamsilverfox

1.8 kr running problems.

Hello! Picked up my first corrado yesterday and i experienced a few issues on the way home.

car starts up fine, but left to idle it starts pinking then cuts out. once driving everythings okay, until you back off the throttle and coast in gear or let the car idle, it dies again. there's no throttle response and starts pinking back firing until it conks out. by the time i got home it was dark so any suggestions before i have a proper look tomorrow? the fuel tank was empty when i picked it up but i brimmed it for the journey home. previous owner said it's had a lift pump from a golf recently. any help would be appreciated :)

regards

steven

First thing I would do is inspect the air flap in the fuel regulator that sits on top of the airbox. Could be that it is gunked up to the point where it is not shutting properly at idle and letting too much air in. Give it a good wipe down with a cloth and see if that improves things.

are you referring to how the air flow meter sits? [ATTACH=CONFIG]49509[/ATTACH] like where these arrows are pointing? does these meter have to correspond to the position of the throttle valve? sorry about the questions, i'm new to older volkswagens ha.

Yeah that is the diagram, those arrows indeed point to what I am talking about. Because the airbox is also connected to the breather, years of oil mist can gunk up especially if the air filter is old and decayed and letting some dust through. Give it a good clean with some carb cleaner of brake cleaner and pop it back together. Not sure what you mean by throttle valve unless you mean throttle body but don't worry about that at the moment as I am not suggesting you adjust anything just yet.

took the flow meter out today and it seems fine. any further suggestions? found that if the engine was running this the throttle held in position, the revs are all over the shop.

i've got a huge amount of information like that.picked up the original workshop manual for vw techs from work today. there's lots of test plans to go through, i was just wondering if anyone had an similar issues and their fixes. :)

right got it running and idling as it should and it was fine for a the past day or so. bit the bullet and swapped my insurance over and everything! but then today whilst doing about 20 in second, there was a 'pop' (i may of just run over something) it just cut out. now it wont fire at all. cranks on the key but wont fire. resulting in this peculiar scene to get me home aha

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49570[/ATTACH]

anyone got any ideas? fuel pump is priming, isv is vibrating but it's just not playing along.

Check the hoses around the airbox, There is one underneath the lardge plastic pipe that goes to the TB. About 1" in diameter and 1 1/2 long. This came off on mine after I'd done some work and gave the exact same symptoms.

thanks guys. sorted it today. turned out fuel relay was dead/melted. also changed, plugs, fuel filter, air filter and now it runs much MUCH better. i'm so pleased, tonight was my first proper go in it and i'm so pleased. only thing i've noticed is when im coasting in gear, it seems to surge/throb. any ideas?