eugopnosaj

My new toy: now with free problems!

So, after 2 years of owning a 16v 2.0 I thought it was time for an upgrade. I've always wanted a VR since I saw my first Corrado but although insurance costs are very similar the initial purchase cost was far too high. Anyway I won a bid on a 1994 Blackberry VR with 141k miles and I collected it today. The car was located in Mansfield so about 100miles back to Milton Keynes, luckily my friend was going to Sheffield to see his sister so I caught a lift.

The guy selling the Corrado bought it in June and has used it as a daily driver but needed a van so had to sell it. He also has a Karmann convertible beetle and a T2, both of which are in amazing condition.

The pics of the VR on eBay were pretty good with the usual dings and a few scratches and he said there was a bit of rust on one of the arches. Turned out it was the front o/s so it is easily replaced. Unfortunately one thing he didnt mention was that someone previously tried to break into the car and there is a hole underneath the drivers door handle...The bonnet had been replaced a few years ago and is a slightly different colour and both bumpers could do with a bit of a touch up.

It has a full black leather interior which is in fair condition however another thing he neglected to tell me (even though i asked for all the details etc) was that there are 2 small tears on the drivers seat, about 2inches long each. Other than that its in a pretty good condition. Strangely it doesnt have a sunroof and has the larger 90mm splitter even though i thought all VR's had the 50mm one?

I was swayed i think by the full service history that came with the car, there is a folder full of receipts and the service book has been stamped up to 138k. I thought i'd go through all the reciepts and there has been no expense spared on the car!

There are some receipts for over £1k, some close to £2k and one that is £2.8k!

I added them all up and it is quite staggering..

Total is at least £18500 with nearly £7500 of that being spent in the past 2 years by own owner....

I also found out that the car was first owned by VAG of Blakelands...in Milton Keynes!!! So i was bringing her home in more ways than one..

One of the owners was also a member of CCGB as his card was still in the leather book and possibly a member of the forum, if anyone recognises the reg plate it would be great to talk to him/her!

The car comes with a thatcham 1 certified Cobra alarm, headlight loom, Alpine 113bt stereo (which I will be selling) with 6 x 9s in a cut parcel shelf (blurgh), a Momo steering wheel (again going to be selling), lowered on Bilstein sport suspension with black and silver Speedlines, it also has a Milltek cat back exhaust, still has the warning triangle (but sadly no first aid kit) and Aero blades on Lupo/TT arms...theres probably others I have missed. All electrics work including the spoiler and the heating on all settings

I do have a few bits that need sorting:

- drivers door handle sticks

- alarm doesnt seem to work with anything other than the drivers door possibly due to:

- interior light not working with the doors open

- rear window demister switch needs swapping

- headlining is sagging

- sort out switch and heating panel lighting

- hole in drivers door

- replace stereo and speakers

I'm not sure how I feel just yet as I feel a bit cheated however she drove well, pulled nicely in all gears, tracking is good and there is next to no wheel wobble. She does sound awesome in a tunnel though!...ask me in a week and I'll have a better answer!

I do have a question about the exhaust though, is it supposed to pop before/after you change gear? and if anyone could advise/assist in sorting the headlining, leather seat and 'holey' door it would be much appreciated

These are pictures that the seller emailed me before I put a bid in so you can see why I bidded.

More pictures to follow!

Now I've got to work out what to do with my Valver

Edited by eugopnosaj

hello, nice purchase, how come you feel cheated? inregards to the exhaust pop, i have a milltek with decat pipe on my vr, it only pops/crackles when your slowing down to a stop with the help of the gearbox/engine brakeing, its a real subtle pop/crackle not loud or noticable realy compared to my old exhaust anyway.

okay its been in the wars a little and needs some work doing to it, but god compared to that scooby in the background with the chrome 3 spokes on it looks sweet.

but god compared to that scooby in the background with the chrome 3 spokes on it looks sweet.

i know that car, the granny with the bags owns it lol.

congrats on purchase, nothing that can't be tidied up there :)

hello, nice purchase, how come you feel cheated? inregards to the exhaust pop, i have a milltek with decat pipe on my vr, it only pops/crackles when your slowing down to a stop with the help of the gearbox/engine brakeing, its a real subtle pop/crackle not loud or noticable realy compared to my old exhaust anyway.

I don't know, I mean, I only spent £1525 for the car which in the grand scheme of things isnt a lot, and VRs are going for anywhere between £1400+ but I've never spent this much on a car ever (purchase price) and i think i was perhaps expecting a little bit more. The previous owner wasn't quite honest with everything and yes it's what happens with a buy on eBay especially if you haven't been to see the car. I guess perhaps i wasn't expecting to have to do anything 'major' to the car, as i was after a VR that i could pretty much drive right away.

My 16v was purchased as a project and like many before it has been laid to the Corrado illness of always having something wrong I was hoping that at least from the start, for the money i was spending i could have something that didnt need more spending to get it up to scratch. Yes i understand its a 17year old car and you cant expect perfection...

Maybe its just me being stupid and naive...

As for the exhaust, when the car is idle there is no popping and she purrs beautifully, like you said it happens when you slow down and take your foot off of the accelerator...

Saw that one and thought it looked good (or at least, as good as it can look on a computer screen).

You sure that's blackberry though (LK4Z) ? Looks just like the colour of my 8valve (LC2U), Sherry pearl. Might be worth a check of the boot sticker.

Either way, nice car.

i think most cars purchased for under £2k-£3k will need a good service, plugs,leads,discs,pads, oil change + brake fluid etc etc

a corrado would be no different especialy for £1500 aslong as the shells ok i wouldnt feel cheated at all, you should see mine :(

It had a service 3k miles ago and fluids looked alright when i checked them, brakes and pads were done last year. Sticker in the boot states LP7Z which is apparently light grey metallic!? It definitely hasn't been painted before as I have the very first v5 document in my receipts folder and it states red...

Looks pretty good for the money and the history sounds excellent.

I'd get the wheels changed asap but that's just personal taste!

Hmm... might be worth checking what it says in the engine bay, on the sticker on the driver side wing behind the airbox....

Looks pretty good for the money and the history sounds excellent.

I'd get the wheels changed asap but that's just personal taste!

I'm not a big fan of the wheels either, but as winter is coming up I think i'll leave them on there for the time being until I can find some better and larger wheels.

James you were correct, engine bay states Sherry Pearl, which according to you and this thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?37863-Paint-Codes is LC2U however all three stickers (boot, engine bay and service book) have the code LP7Z...

I guess that makes searching for a replacement door harder as I've not seen many people breaking a Sherry Pearl car!

Is Blackberry lighter than Sherry Pearl? As the bonnet is lighter than the rest of the car where they obviously used either the wrong paint or took it from the wrong car

Blackberry is a darker shade but not far off what you have there. Smart looking motor M8, so when the turbo going in :)

Haha, I've got to fix the faults first!

What are the normal running temps for the VR?

On the way back, 100 mile trip, doing about 80mph on the M1, water was between 70-80 and oil 98-108. I just want to check that these temps are fine as it seems theres quite a bit i need to learn about the VR

Edited by eugopnosaj

I guess that makes searching for a replacement door harder as I've not seen many people breaking a Sherry Pearl car!

Is Blackberry lighter than Sherry Pearl? As the bonnet is lighter than the rest of the car where they obviously used either the wrong paint or took it from the wrong car

Don't see many sherrys being broken. I dropped on with my spares but am yet to see another breaker in the same colour (let alone within driving distance).

Colour wise it's totally different to blackberry. Mines had loads of paint in it's life. The bonnet's a different shade to the wings, and the roof's a different shade again.

Pearl can be a beeeatcchh to match though. Ideally mine needs a full hit with the paint gun. But when a paint job is twice the value of the car, I'll stick to swapping panels and touching up with this one.

Haha, I've got to fix the faults first!

What are the normal running temps for the VR?

On the way back, 100 mile trip, doing about 80mph on the M1, water was between 70-80 and oil 98-108. I just want to check that these temps are fine as it seems theres quite a bit i need to learn about the VR

those temps are fine m8, same as mine, the water will rise when sat in or in slow moveing traffic, but then the fan should come on at around 85 , if you have any questions about the cooling system have a read of the vr6 cooling thread in the engine section it tells you everything you need to know :)

Ok my VR has developed a few problems :(

- ABS light is now continuously on

- struggles to start

- idles roughly after starting and stalled about 100 yards down the road

- exhaust sounds a rough at the downpipe

Apart from obviously holes in the exhaust what should I be looking for to solve the other issues

ABS possibly just a knackered/dirty sensor really need to get it on VAG Com to see what fault is thrown up.

The cutting out could just be the ISV needing cleaning.