AB

3.0ltr vr

i have a spare block and was just weighing up options of what to do i.e just completely refresh with standard parts or go for a bit more grunt. 3.0ltrs don't seem that common and was wondering if this is because they are hassle or so expensive to do for the reward. I am happy to stay n/a, i know a lot of you will probably say 24v but i do like the idea of something a little different and i am not great with wiring but am OK on my tools.

sorry if this has been asked before i would just like your opinions and experiences as i have a few lists next to my computer and i just cant decide.

many thanks

you need 83,5 mm pistons to get 3L. You need to rebore your engine it's about 75+ quid for one bore and there is 6 of them an you will get maybe 10-15 ps more from that, depending what piston compression you use.

thankyou, does this require larger pistons as well or just oversized rings? also can the standard management on a vr cope with the fueling or is this not really an issue?

thanks for any help on this

i would of thought to get the best out of it you should get a remap, , theres a 3.0l vr turbo mk2 golf on ebay atm £6000! 300bhp , lol buy it and remove the motor ;)

Alternatively check the classifieds on here under parts there is a Jon Malik special from Stealth and his latest project engine going for 4.5K, it's worth double that if you cost in labour to build it etc

Same here just makes me think I should have not bothered and just bought the MK3 Complete car and saved an absolute fortune! Especially after spending an afternoon watching the care and time spent in just making part of the boost pipework its clearly been very well built.

thankyou, does this require larger pistons as well or just oversized rings? also can the standard management on a vr cope with the fueling or is this not really an issue?

thanks for any help on this

of course you need a pistons in size of 83,5mm, only this ones will give you proper 3l. I have a 83mm short block for sale but it's not a cheap think.

thanks for all the replies, does seem a very exspensive exercise. shame as i fancied building something up over time.

ah well will look at other options!!

Building a tuned N/A motor will always cost plenty to get real gains out of them,the old 12v head is the part that restricts the power,so you will always be up against a brick wall,its far easier to add a charger to the side,seen a kit go for around 1500 quid and less,that will be an instant 250-280hp mark,if N/A is what you want, drop the R32 motor in there,cams and map you will see around 300hp !