corrado wannabe

Ok here goes, the long-term project!!!

Just bought this little 16 valver. Completely original paintwork on it. 2 owners from new, first owner for 15 years. Bags and bags of history so a nice wee project. No big plans for it other than sort out any niggles and really planning on keeping it as standard as possible. Hope to get lots of advice along the way here and will do my best to post up any how to's I get around to "how toing"!! Dougie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49849[/ATTACH]

Looks and sounds like a good example. I would get the wheels done in the original finish, it would look great against the dark blue.

'no big plans' is how we all start :)

seems a solid example best of luck with it.

Always a pleasure to see that there are still original, unmolested ones out there. Looking forward to seeing what progress you make with this :)

Many thanks gents. Corrado was the car I never bought, always had Golf Gti's (MkI mkII and mkIII) then went away from V-dub compeletely. Should really change my user name now!

Coullstar what would the original whel finish have been? Wont be touching the wheels for a long time (if at all) as they were refurbed a few months ago by the previous owner and a new set of Pirellis stuck on it.

Aide..I know but I will resist! really only want an original car. Biggest expense will be a respray at some point in the future to secure the car from the dreaded rust as there are a few bits on wheel arches and fuel filler.

Dougie

Ok guys, thought I would update this a little. Have really just been pottering away slowly with this in the garage. Just need to free off the back brakes then it should be ready for its retest. Got busy with the clay bar and polish:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57997[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58001[/ATTACH]

Replaced the wishbones and bushes as well as ARB bushes. Old:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58005[/ATTACH]

New:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58009[/ATTACH]

Have also been removing screws in and around the engine bay area and immersing them in rust converter overnight, dont have pics yet but it is working well. Also replaced the number plate light casing with a newly painted replacement.

Dougie

Its been ages since I have added to this, and to be honest, I haven't really added to it at all!

I have been busy with the car and have been enjoying driving it since September last year.

I will be a bit more active with this and not be lazy and put write ups and pictures as I go along.

Car required some welding for its MOT, mainly at the jack point at the front on both sides and at the seat belt mounting points behind the front seats. New discs and pads were put on as well, but apart from that it went through it's MOT.

Since then I have been fixing problems (mainly maintenance items along the way. Clutch slave cylinder was first to go, not surprising as the car had been sat for approximately three years, interesting drive home with no clutch!

Uprated Headlight loom fitted from one of the suppliers on here and the difference is incredible, highly recommended mod.

Heater blower motor started the "only working on speed 4" thermal fuse bought and soldered in, but unfortunately the blower motor packed in shortly after (during the cold snap of course!) So new one purchased and fitted et voila heat again.

Fast forward to the last couple of weeks and a few things started to go south on it again. Front wheel bearing replaced and both rear wheel bearings and discs/pads replaced also. This weekend saw the old rear suspension units removed and new bilstein B4s fitted, the pictures below show the new discs and pads (excuse the yellow calipers!)

DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2886.jpg

And the old:

DSCN2890.jpg

Starting to gather a few parts that still need to be fitted, complete sunroof from a MK3 as slide only on mine.

Complete rear beam to be cleaned and repainted then refitted with all new parts on car.

Complete aqua blue tailgate to replace mine as there are some rust issues around the seams behind the rear lights.

That's me up to date, no pictures of the car as its manky! But externally still exactly as it was, so I'm still standing by my mantra of keeping it standard.

Dougie

Edited by corrado wannabe