Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

KR cam upgrade

Hello

Right it's looking like I'll be getting some KR cams pretty soon as it'd be good to get some more power out of the old girl...

What I don't know is... where to start! :oops:

What kind of increase in performance should I expect?

I gather there are 2 different types of KR cam... are these high and low?

Which is the one to go for?

I'm of very basic mechanical knowlege :roll: , so would like some idea of whats involved?

And lastly is there anything else I should think of doing at the same time?

I plan to drill the airbox and give it a cold air feed at the same time which will help a bit I think...

I know a lot of 2L owners have done this so any feed back would be great... Cheers chaps

Phil

Hi,

you could have a look at a haynes manual or simular to give you an idea of whats envolved,

basically you will have to remove the inlet manifold, the cam cover, slacken off the cam belt, remove the cams, fit new cams, correctly torque them down, and re-fit everything

i would recomend changing the cam belt and cam chain at the same time as these are relatively inexpensive, and you will have to remove them anyway.

is your engine very tappy?

you could replace the cam folowers if so,

if not it might be worth removing them and squezing the old oil out, but make sure you fit them back in the same place each one was removed from.

when drilling the airbox dont put any holes on the side next to the engine.

i have never done this mod myself but i imagine the power gains are not massive, but probably changes the way the engine behaves making more power high in the revs, but perhaps losing a little low down torque.

i have seen some mk2 running this spec, which once setup correctly on a rolling road where making over 160bhp

Nice one guys.. scruffydubbers, yeah my engine is very tappety so thats probably a good idea...

flusted, you have PM :D