m6vwc

Recommended sunroof repairers Cheshire / South Yorkshire?

Really is one of those jobs you should try and sort yourself purely because of the labour involved... it gets seriously expensive and no company will have experience of fixing Corrado sunroofs so they're just as likely to screw it up as anyone else!

Even when your technical ability stops just after knowing that you hold the plastic bit of the screwdriver in your hand?

I'd urge people to have an attempt at these things, Corrado's are just a giant mechano set really.

Yes, the sunroof mechs are a little tricky but if its already broken, what's the worst that can happen..? You break it further...?

Plenty of help and assistance on the problem on the forum and many other internet resources, also plenty of ways to skin this tricky moggy of a problem.

Repair kits can be found, donor parts from other cars are available if tracking down an identical, reliable replacement is a problem (Golf/Passat/Seat/Skoda etc....)

Allow plenty of time to tackle this job, start simple i.e. removing trim panels, headliner etc to get clear access to assess problem/damage and take your time removing items noting how they were attached and what bolts went where.

Grabbing a knowledgeable friend to help is also beneficial with this job as well as plenty of pairs of clean gloves when dealing with interior trim such as the headliner.

Best of luck.

Edited by StueyB

Cheaper option is to just buy a moonroof assembly and swap the whole thing over.. apparently not that hard to do!

^ Yep, the moonroof swap is the easiest option and requires little skill - good oppourunity to clean a load of bits too including the headlining!

Easiest, quite possibly.

Cheapest - I very much doubt.

Hmm - going rate for a complete moon roof £50-60...

I don't think you can buy both sides of repair kit for that, plus you then need the grease, new seal maybe... plus then you'll have a huge hole in the roof of your car for the time it takes to do the cassette refurb.

I was lucky and managed to find a replacement 2nd hand Corrado sunroof with the guides intact for £15. If you want to keep it original and replace the sheared guides then you used to be able to get the parts from the dealers. Not cheap at about £100, but I've managed to get 10% discount at Gilders so they may help out a little (I use the Rotherham one as they know what they're doing a bit more, and it's close to work).

Sunroof removal is not *that* hard but it is so much easier if you either have a spare repacement unit you can work on off the car, or if the Corrado is stored in the dry, giving you as much time as you need to take apart the sunroof and clean the mech. If you want, I have a spare mech that you can use - broken in exactly the same place as yours, but at least it gives you the chance of repairing one off the car, so you can do a straight swap.

The glass moonroof should be a good option, but I didn't go down this route, and finding a replacement that fits isn't always as easy as you may think. I was also worried about getting a colour match on the blind as I have beige headlining.

A new cable isnt that expensive, and replacing it takes about an hour if you've done it before. However that doesn't fix the cause. Unlike the author of the piece on VW Vortex, I think the problem is not the little rubber washer compressing, but a lack of lube leading to worn guides (they're meant to be lubed every service).

The moonroof uses the same mechanism, with minor changes to accommodate the thicker glass roof. As such, the same problems with wear and breakage will occur. Find a working sunroof cassette of either type for as little as possible and use that (note, you need the glass from the Passat to fir flush in the C - the Golf is more curved).

HTH

Is the guide that you are talking about the one that has sheared in that pic and if so do you know if you get them with the cables?

I have a similar problem on mine - SR tilts perfectly but jams up just before it's about to slide back. Pretty sure the problem is one sided probably the rocker assembly. Infact, I've got a pretty good idea it is.

Tony_ack: Agreed. If you can work on this sort of thing off the car, pref on a seperate unit or if you're lucky enough to have your own garage (the envy of us all) it's def worth doing. Problem for most of us is having to do this sh*t in the middle of the street, outside in the wet and wild.

StueyB: Totally. What's the point of owning your own motor if you can't fix it? It's like owning your own shooter and not knowing how to dis-assemble and re-assemble it, cleaning every last piece of it checking for faults along the way - Your Rado, Merc, Beemer whatever, is no different.

I did mine about two years ago and the parts were around £150. I'm fairly sure that shortly afterwards people on here were complaining that the parts are deleted.