Alex_G60_Fanatic

Wobbly Steering...

OK chaps... a bit of a dodgy development... not really wanting to drive the car until i have diagnosed this, it feels like the cars wheel is loose.

basically when I'm driving along the car pulls slightly to the left when braking... and slightly to the right when accelerating. I't's a noticeable difference that feels like torque steer but happens when you just accelerate slowly.

The car has recently had a little accident where the drivers side front wheel hit the kerb at speed. This as far as I can tell cracked my alloy, bent my tracking arm and gave me a puncture. This has now all been fixed but this problem seems to have occurred after I got the tracking arm swapped over. The car has prior to this been given a new wishbones, rubbers, anti roll bar and suspension (including mounts)

Soooo... could this be tracking related or camber related? What else should I be checking? The last time this happened to me my subframe fell off so I'd like to know what to check before I start driving the car about :lol:

Could be a broken subframe bolt or allignment was done and something's come loose?

Either way I'd take it back to the garage or get it to a Kwik Fit / MOT type place to diagnose

Also check simple things first - Wheel bolts, tyre pressures, play in bearings when you shake the wheel?

Could be a broken subframe bolt or allignment was done and something's come loose?

Either way I'd take it back to the garage or get it to a Kwik Fit / MOT type place to diagnose

Also check simple things first - Wheel bolts, tyre pressures, play in bearings when you shake the wheel?

Not had the car off the ground since i noticed this but I did give both front wheels a shake.. no visible sign of wobble.... I'd rather not take it back to the garage that did the tracking arm though as they ripped me off... £200 and I bought the parts! :bonk:

What happens when you accelerate hard?

Ordinarily i'd be suspicious of the wishbone mounts, but...

Edited by Mike Edwards
technical gremlin

What happens when you accelerate hard?

Ordinarily i'd be suspicious of the wishbone mounts, but...

Nothing... The steering changes by the same amount if I accelerate hard or softly. I'm going to leave the car until the weekend then get under the front wheels... I want to check the subframe.

Forgive me if this is a daft question but was the tracking done after the re-build? Had this on mine but only when the road was damp/wet, left wheel was tracking left and the right was tracking right. Made for a horrible bum twitching drive under acceleration.